4 Cities, 23 States

Discussion in 'Activism / Safety' started by SUX VR40 Rider, Feb 26, 2010.

1. SUX VR40 Rider

SUX VR40 Rider New Member

4 cities and 23 states have a 3' Law or a Safe Passing Law or Ordinance. Ironically 2 of the cities, Austin and San Antonio, Texas have a 3' Ordinace in a state that vetoed the bill at the state level. Boise, Idaho and Tupelo, Mississippi have the ordinance as well with no legislation at the state level.

11 States have current bills before their respective state legislatures. In 1 state, Iowa, it is a 5' Passing Law, not 3'. In South Dakota the issue is tabled as of 02/11/2010.

16 states have no legislation.

Wisconsin was the first state to pass legislation in 1973. It took another 27 years to happen again in Arizona in 2000. The next was Minnesota in 2004. Since then the trend has been differant states every year to the present. Hopefuly 2010 is the year Iowa finally passes the bil into law.

Link to chart:
    3 Feet Please, State by State

2. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

They don't enforce it in Austin so it's useless.

3. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

It seems to do pretty well here in AZ...

4. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Lucky you guys. Austin is jam packed considering the amount of urban sprawl. If you can get into the neighborhoods then it's awesome. People are respectful and polite. Any where else though it's you verses them. I had a friend give me the finger the other day cause I yelled hello out my window when I passed and he assumed I was yelling something hateful (I wasn't in my car, and he didn't see it was me, was the excuse he gave me.).

5. SUX VR40 Rider

SUX VR40 Rider New Member

You ever notice how the nicest people in the world who would help you in anyway, give you the shirt off their back and is not judgemental turns into the biggest ******* jerks when they get behind the wheel of a car?

I can only ask why?

6. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

They weren't really that nice?

7. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

There is a fun side to that -- around here, anyway, since so few actually know ANYTHING about traffic laws as they relate to bikes -- I can BLUFF the 3' law when there's a verbal exchange!

8. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

You could probably do that most anywhere... just as long as you don't sound like you're making it up.

9. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

There's an art to B.S. Once you have it down few will question you.