Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding home yesterday I see a police officer running laser on the side of the road. I ride by and we both wave. About 200 feet down the road I get really, really buzzed by a BMW SUV. Within the blink of an eye, the cop pulls up, lights the guy up and pulls him over. I ride by as the cop is walking up to the car, he gives me a thumbs up and a big smile.

Pretty cool, right?

So I'm on the main drag of where I live and a state trooper has a pick-up truck pulled over; the trooper just gave the guy his summons as is wlaking back to his car. I'm riding past them and as I'm just about up the truck, he starts to pull away. The trooper sees me, gives a wave and does one of the sharpest about-faces I've ever seen and yells "Hey! Don't move yet!"

Sure enough, I rode past unimpeded. . . .

So, any good stories?

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Very nice!

Today Xela and I were riding in 100+ temps up a hill with 15% grade. This SUV is behind me. I get to the top of the hill where Xela is waiting in a driveway. I signal and pull over as well. The lady stops and says "Very impressive guys." Nice driver and what a compliment.

·
717 Posts
An occasional riding partner of mine is a Captain in the Virginia State Police, he flys the helicopters and planes. You know...NOTHING bad has ever happened to us while we were out riding....dang-it!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Very nice to hear that there are some people looking out for cyclists. And appreciating the effort it takes to ascend any hill, let alone one with a 15% grade in such sweltering heat. Very nice indeed. Thanks for posting, guys. :thumbsup:

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
We get a lot of speeders on the road thrugh the swamp and a lot land in the swamp we have some nice turns. When I have sean an oficer righting a ticket I allway say thanks for making the road safer. That is not what I would have said in my younger days as a drag racer

·
348 Posts
Last week when riding my usual MUP, I encountered several salmon joggers. Really unsafe. I find them to be the most arrogant that I have to share the trail with. I dinged my bell, slowed, checked my mirror and passed on the left. Tried to say something nice like " hey, it's really much safer if you travel on the right" but the joggers just ignored me.

But here's where it get cool. I realize except for the arrogant peds that act like they're the only ones on the trail and can so as they please, MOST of the one that mess up Really Don't Know Any Better. I haven't seen any really useful signage and not many Park Police so how are they supposed to know the MUP rules?

I had a chance to chat with some other walkers and found that by slowing, a friendly greeting and a non judgmental suggestion to keep them safer was surprisingly well received. Perhaps, wearing a helmet and some gear made me look like I knew what I was talking about but one group of twenty somethings was walking three abreast spread completely across the trail. As I approached from behind, and rang the bell, they moved right to single file. I said my piece fully expecting a STFU or something and got a ..." hey thanks!". We wished each other a great day, waved and went on.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very nice!

Today Xela and I were riding in 100+ temps up a hill with 15% grade. This SUV is behind me. I get to the top of the hill where Xela is waiting in a driveway. I signal and pull over as well. The lady stops and says "Very impressive guys." Nice driver and what a compliment.

You got lucky, I once rode with him on at 47% grade and was struggling up to the top. He kept going up to the top, coasting back down, hung with me for a second and would say "Almost there! You're doing awesome!" before dropping the hammer again and going up to the top, only to coast back down to me and do it all over again. . . I do not pity that man the day he mistakes Veet and puts it on his sammich instead of mayo.

:D

In all seriousness, that's an awesome thing. Most people, I find, just get bent when you're not flying up the hill as fast as their cars do; very, very few people have any appreciation of what it takes to push up a steep climb.

Makes you appreciate the pro riders when they fly up some hills, eh?

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
After reading reviews of Veet, I certainly hope he tries some! He should have to do a review! Well, I would feel bad if he had an experience like some I've read, but I'm pretty sure I'd laugh anyway.

I was so out of breath when that lady made the comment, I was just draped over the bars and stuck my arm out. Xela had to say thanks to her.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts