5 murdered, this is insanity

Discussion in 'Activism / Safety' started by rola643, Dec 11, 2020.

1. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Five bicyclists were killed and three others injured in a crash Thursday involving a box truck on U.S. Highway 95 south of Boulder City, Nevada Highway Patrol officials said. Authorities said the truck driver remained on the scene and commercial units were called to inspect the vehicle's brakes, tires and overall function following the 9:40 a.m. crash.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bicyclists-killed-crash-nevada-highway/

https://www.8newsnow.com/news/local...s-in-deadly-crash-vigil-planned-for-saturday/

2. MilesR

MilesR Mom's Taxi Tavern Member

^
    Definitely cannot like this! I have driven the road a few times. There isn't anything blocking site lines. Nothing but wide open desert. Not sure if I would ride there.

rola643 likes this.

3. Germanrazor

Germanrazor Well-Known Member

It can happen at any moment and we take on that potential every time we cycle the roads. I am reminded, when it’s your time, it is inevitable to elude it. I pray for the families and friends of those killed as well as the driver who struck them.

rola643 likes this.
  4. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Well-Known Member

So terribly sad. My prayers are for them and their families & friends right now.

MilesR likes this.
  5. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

I hate reading stuff like this.

I have a friend that is an avid cyclist and a sports writer for the newspaper in LV. When he lived here, he was struck from behind while on his bike. He wrote a book about the incident and his recovery. I haven’t heard if he was involved in this or not but he does a lot of riding with Las Vegas Cyclery group. I’m hoping he wasn’t in the group that day.

Dos_Ruedas, MilesR and newleaf150 like this.
  6. Germanrazor

Germanrazor Well-Known Member

Let us pray he was not.

Dos_Ruedas, John_V and MilesR like this.
  7. newleaf150

newleaf150 Deranged Touring Cyclist Tavern Member

To say that it was 'time' for five human beings to die by being run down like animals is to say that the driver who did it was not responsible for his actions. How can the driver be responsible when he merely carried out the will of whomever decides it is someone's 'time' to be slaughtered?

Let the responsibility for this atrocity rest where it belongs: on the human being who chose to get behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. Let the responsibility rest on the one who chose to operate that vehicle in a fashion which ended with five cyclists dead on the side of the road and three more terribly injured.

One way or another, this was all about humans making choices, not fate.

Dos_Ruedas, rola643 and John_V like this.
  8. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

I logged into FB earlier to see if he had posted anything since the crash and he did. He wasn’t in the group but did know those involved.

newleaf150, Dos_Ruedas and MilesR like this.
  9. rola643

Amen @newleaf150, very nicely said. Responsibility is SEVERELY lacking in society today

10. rola643

John_V and newleaf150 like this.
  11. newleaf150

newleaf150 Deranged Touring Cyclist Tavern Member

Thanks for posting the follow up, sad as it is.

With all due respect, I fail to see where pot legalization has anything to do with this tragedy. The driver was reportedly using meth, a substance which has been illegal for decades. I understand pot is legal in NV, as it is here in CO, I just don't see the connection. Had the driver been drunk, would you advocate for alcohol to be banned? Perhaps I'm missing something.

It seems to me that the problem is people who choose to use large amounts of any mood altering substance before getting behind the wheel of an automobile and ramming into others. I don't care if what they're using is legal or not, only that they are driving while under its influence.

Whether he was drunk, stoned, or whatever using meth is called, the problem was that the driver chose to do drugs and then get behind the wheel. The result for the victims is the same, whether the driver's drugs were legal or not.

John_V and rola643 like this.
  12. rola643

First I agree with you about someone getting behind the wheel under the influence of any substance.

In so far as I know, and I don't keep up with it, there's no way to know whether someone just smoked or smoked a week ago as it stays in their system, yes? ( I could find out pretty quick. One of the guys I ride with is a Lt with the LPD and ride with a couple of state troopers from time to time)There's no mistaking a drunk driver in those regards.

It's just my opinion, we just don't need another mind alerting drug to be legal that you can't verify the user immediate level of...inebriation. I could be way off in what I don't know. I just know I don't personally think it should be legal. That's all I'm going say on the subject.

John_V likes this.
  13. fpl1

fpl1 Well-Known Member Tavern Member

So sad to read this and so many other stories like it.

John_V and MilesR like this.
  14. rola643

15. maelochs

maelochs Old, fat, and slow

The people who are going to drive when high on pot ..... already are. And have been for so long as most of us have lived.

For people who want it, pot isn't much harder to get than alcohol (based on past experience--not stories, not movies, and not current .... but I know people who imbibe and it is a lot easier and safer to get now even in states where it is still illegal.)

It is extreme impairment which is the issue---after all, you Drive to most bars. Driving after imbibing but while not any more impaired than after an eight-hour shift at a boring job is accepted.

And meth is illegal everywhere except, I think Colorado, where you still aren't allowed to own it, sell it, or use it---but if you get caught you get treatment, instead of getting jailed, jonesing, and getting out and buying even more.

The issue isn't the intoxicant---it is driving while unable to make good decisions. People do that while smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee.

I don't want to get too deep into the "My intoxicant is okay but your isn't" debate. The real issue--to me--- is that this guy Might actually face serious charges for his actions.

My issue so far with car/bike collisions is that when the driver is Clearly at fault, other drivers, from cops to lawyers to judges to juries---take the side of drivers.

"Oh, the person who was not looking and plowed through a paceline didn't Intend to do harm, so it is just an accident, not murder." Yeah, balls. A lady literally blew through a paceline outside Fort Lauderdale, FL a few years back, wiping out I think nine riders. her excuse: "The sun was in my eyes."

The Law says, if you cannot operate safely due to environmental conditions you cannot operate. Try running through a busy elementary-school crosswalk and saying, "The sun blinded me."

But drive through a group ride ... and most drivers think cyclists don't belong on the road anyway. Sort of like blaming rape victims for wearing skirts or makeup---you shouldn't have acted that way if you didn't want to get hurt.

(In no way intending to demean the horror which rape victims endure.)

The fact that people drive impaired is taken a lot more seriously now than it was fifty years ago ... but barring breath, urine, and blood analyzers at the ignition switch ("Dang, we can't go home... I just hit the restroom and I am dry now and can't start my car") people are still going to make that choice.

What we can do is teach people that the choice to drive impaired could completely ruin your life. Nowadays you can get drunk and drive and End a person's life and not automatically be up for murder. Screw "accidental vehicular mayhem" or whatever. If you get in a car impaired, you should be guilty of criminal negligence whether you hit the neighbor's mailbox or the neighbor's kid.

Whatever. What I really want is fairness and justice and truth and compassion and tolerance and decency and for everyone to be good people .... I ain't asking for much.

/Rant off

16. maelochs

maelochs Old, fat, and slow

... and yes ... "I say, lord, take me downtown ... I'm just looking for some tush ..." Classic ZZ Topp almost makes a stupid pre-coffee rant like that tolerable.

John_V and newleaf150 like this.
  17. rola643

All I'll say to this is that fact that pot "aint what it used to be" It's been cultivated a refined to bring the most intense highs you can imagine and it aint the 4 finger bag of Acapulco Gold of the 70's for 35 bucks where you could smoke a few bowls and still function, try that today :D Ever heard of shatter?, just but one example of the refinements. Otherwise I agree with your "rant" :D

John_V and Dos_Ruedas like this.