50-55 miles - first time

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by ak08820, Mar 24, 2011.

1. ak08820

ak08820 New Member

I have done 25 mile rides with no issues like cramping afterwards, etc. I will be attempting a 50+ mile ride this Saturday, if the temp is above 50F. I am 55 years old and have average fitness. Any pointers, besides carrying a tube, pump, tools, etc.? I will be taking suburban roads and am not going to carry more than 1 water bottle as I can easily refill. My 12-speed Bike has new 27" x 1.25" tires. See pic.

Attached Files:

2. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

I would suggest 2 water bottles but as long as you have places to stop and refill that should be ok. I would also suggest something to eat like cliff bars or something along those lines, maybe orange slices.

Didn't you all get another 12 feet of snow yesterday?

3. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

Extra water and Cliff bars. Eat about every 30 minutes. Wicking underwear. Don't worry about cadence, speed, or time. Let your mind go, smile and enjoy.

Enjoy your Bike Church.

4. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Fignewtons is what I take with me, thay have a box with 2 packs in it real handy the 2 packs are like 4 regular Fignewtons. And 2 watter bottles, it is hard to drink when the temp is low you just have to make your self drink.

5. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

My only question would be do you really want to double your mileage distance in one fell swoop. You might want to think about a 35 miler and see how that goes before you try 50. That being said if you have some out like another person that can come get you if you need it, AND you are not too proud to use it, then why not. Just don't push your body into doing something its not ready to do. That can lead to injury and time off the bike not added mileage.

6. ak08820

ak08820 New Member

All good advice!
    The reason for this particular ride is a destination I have to go to. My family will come by car, so if needed I may get picked up, after a long wait I guess. Also, will return by car. BTW, what is bike church? We did get snow today and yesterday but nothing like that in the pic I will attach.

7. ak08820

ak08820 New Member

Bike stand at Metro Park in winter 2011

Attached Files:

8. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Bike church is a group thing. Many of us find that when we ride, we connect to the world around us in a way that just isn't possible in any other way. The flowers along the roadside smell just a bit sweeter (unless you just missed hitting a skunk) the breeze is just a bit softer (unless you are riding into a gale of a headwind), but most of all life's troubles seem to disappear for a while. A ride will get rid of more stress to me that most anything. There is only one thing I have ever done in my life that required more focus and relieved more stress than riding a bike.

That peace became known here as "Bike Church" or another way of referring to a ride. Everyone's Bike Church is a bit different. Some go more often than others. Some have more hymns (ie what's on your ipod if anything) and some use different mounts. Some go as they are, some dress in a full cycling kit, and some are Fred's. Bike church, like most things is what you make it.

9. Garilia

Garilia New Member

My Bike Church doesn't include my iPod.

10. Nigal

Ah, a Quaker silent service then. 8)

11. Nigal

I have yet to face a problem that couldn't be sorted out from the saddle. Cheers!

12. Garilia

Garilia New Member

:) I can't relax if I am isolated from the surrounding/ambient noise.

13. rola643

OMG still laughing and cleaning the beer of off my laptop!

14. Garilia

Garilia New Member

I was also just looking up bike laws in my state, and it's illegal to operate a bike wearing headphones, or anything that interferes with your hearing.

15. rola643

Same here in Va. Although we just can't have them in both ears... legally and that includes driving in your car

Code of VA § 46.2-1078

§ 46.2-1078. Unlawful to operate motor vehicle, bicycle, electric personal assistive mobility device, electric power-assisted bicycle, or moped while using earphones.

It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle, bicycle, electric personal assistive mobility device, electric power-assisted bicycle, or moped on the highways in the Commonwealth while using earphones on or in both ears.

For the purpose of this section, "earphones" shall mean any device worn on or in both ears that converts electrical energy to sound waves or which impairs or hinders the person's ability to hear, but shall not include (i) any prosthetic device that aids the hard of hearing, (ii) earphones installed in helmets worn by motorcycle operators and riders and used as part of a communications system, or (iii) nonprosthetic, closed-ear, open-back, electronic noise-cancellation devices designed and used to enhance the hearing ability of persons who operate vehicles in high-noise environments, provided any such device is being worn by the operator of a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,000 pounds or more. The provisions of this section shall not apply to the driver of any emergency vehicle as defined in § 46.2-920.

16. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

food... i have to have munchies, i could do a fifty without food but why? recently on a morning ride with some local bike club guys, we began a steep climb and i dropped to the year to get a breakfast burrito from my jersey pouch. ate half and then road my way back to the front. after the decent down the other side i dropped off to the rear and finished the burrito. when we got back to the coffee shop we began at, one of the younger guys asked if i had had mechanical problems or physical ones and why i dropped off... one of the older strong guys laughed and said, "snacks, is just like that. she drops off to eat and then pushes herself back to the front." i had no idea but two of the guys i ride on the road with call me snacks because of my excessive eating on rides.

17. Nigal

It's pretty silly when you look at the amount of wattage most car stereos put out these days.

And as I pointed out on the other head phones thread; are deaf people not allowed to ride/drive? But this is all off topic! 8)

Another thing I find that is a good thing to do on a long bike ride and that is to actually stop and get off the bike for a break. It can really make yopu bounce back. Why I've even been caught napping in parks before.

18. ak08820

ak08820 New Member

Yes, Bike Church works for me. I am averse to team sports, anything that involves rules, e.g. cards, and am generally unable to learn anything new nowadays. So, a ride or a jog is the best stress relief activity for me.

19. ak08820

ak08820 New Member

BTW, it looks like the ride will need to be postponed. Forecast for tomorrow is 42F max.

20. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

You should not get overheated