·
Two skinny J's
21,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we go John_V! Let's here what's ailing you are what has fixed ya :D

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Being a 50+ cyclist one would think that you would have more time to ride. At least I once thought. I seem to have more things that I am juggling around.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
rola643 said:
Here we go John_V! Let's here what's ailing you are what has fixed ya :D
Thanks rola for adding this forum to the list. It is one of the more popular forums on my other forum site and I hope we can get it going here, as well. Some very good topics and advice for us old timers are shared there. We had topic ranging from colonoscopies to cataract surgery and everything in between. One thing I have come to realize is that 50+ cyclist are not bashful.

·
Two skinny J's
21,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks rola for adding this forum to the list. It is one of the more popular forums on my other forum site and I hope we can get it going here, as well. Some very god topics and advice for us old timers are shared there. We had topic ranging from colonoscopies to cataract surgery and everything in between. One thing I have come to realize is that 50+ cyclist are not bashful.
I'd like to take credit but Hack added it:D While I'm a couple months away from the magical 50, why hold back? 50 is the new twenty and I'm savoring it!!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
My new riding partner is in his mid 50's and tells me that a book called 'Younger Next Year' should be required reading for all of us hitting the big 5 0.

·
717 Posts
Thanks, the 50+ on the other site is useful but I'd rather stay here.

I'll start:
Best part about being 50+ is....

More time to ride ...at least the kids are not so labor intensive by the time most of us reach this age & the grandkids are pure joy that go away when I've got other things I want to do.

Usually a "little" more money to spend on our toys

I don't feel like I need to pass all the young riders out there to feel good...but when I do pass one it feels very good!

When you are in your 40's you are in the "old age of youth", in your 50's you are in the "youth of old age"

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
bmohan55 said:
More time to ride ...at least the kids are not so labor intensive by the time most of us reach this age & the grandkids are pure joy that go away when I've got other things I want to do.
It gets even better when you retire and have all day to ride. I didn't realize just how addicting and important cycling is until I retired. My days start off with breakfast, my daily rides and then anything else that I have time for.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
52 here, more time to ride and more money so I can buy nicer stuff.

·
Registered
209 Posts
56 here and just started riding again about 3 months ago. I agree there is more time to ride as long as I get all my "chores" done! My wife still works so I am the "house b***h" around here. :D Seriously though I too ride early and then get some things done around the house and if the wife wants to ride when she comes home, off we go.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I'm 66, retired 2 years ago after bypass surgery. It took almost year to gain enough strength but I languished until inheriting a nice hybrid. That was last fall so I didn't really get rolling till March.
I have time but can not neglect my other endeavors of gardening and social web site management. Long rides kill any real gardening work for the day so it's one or the other. I've been gardening since I was 8, it's important to me. Fruit, berries, veggies and flowers, I grow them all.
I like the ride and upright position on the hybrid. I may not have resumed riding if my sister had left me a road bike, bending over that far would be hard on the old bod. I don't have to be the fastest any more.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
I like the ride and upright position on the hybrid. I may not have resumed riding if my sister had left me a road bike, bending over that far would be hard on the old bod. I don't have to be the fastest any more.[/QUOTE]

I agree andy, 52 myself and as far as distance and speed go, The only guy I like to "beat" is myself. everyone else can face their own demons! in the words of the late great Peter Boyle "stay out of my psychosis there's only room for me in here!"

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
My doctor has a sign that says "If you are over 50 and woke up without any aches and pains, you probably died in your sleep". Of course, he went to Hawaii for his 75th birthday, so he's still getting about.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I am retired and at 67-1/2 and I am getting in some rideing just about every day that the weather is ok. I started out rideing about 4 years ago or so. I rode for my hart to start with but I just like being on the bike now, As for the geting things done , I tell the wife one thing a day is all I can do and I got up this morning. ;)

·
Recreational and Utility Rider :)
243 Posts
57 here and I got 2 odd types of arthritis and all kinds of ailments but it hurts just as much to sit at the computer or walk as to ride so I chose to RIDE! ;) I have two hybrids, one I consider my "flat bar road bike" and the other my utility/everyday bike. I thought real hard on maybe trading in the Coda Sport for a Jamis Sateilight triple crank road bike with drop bars but I don't think I could handle being in the drops much so I'd just be on the hoods all the time, don't see much difference in that and having a flat bar, jmho, ymmv. Have a most excellent day! :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
turned 50 this yr and still enjoy riding... getting harder to get leg over top bar. still want to ride.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
trx1 said:
turned 50 this yr and still enjoy riding... getting harder to get leg over top bar. still want to ride.
Don't give up! I'm 65 1/2 and ride a road bike on a daily basis. I also do an average of 12 charity rides a year (100 K or more). The more you ride, the better your body handles it. Tilt the bike if it gets hard to get the leg over the top tube. Don't use it as an excuse not to ride.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
57 here and I got 2 odd types of arthritis and all kinds of ailments but it hurts just as much to sit at the computer or walk as to ride so I chose to RIDE! ;) I have two hybrids, one I consider my "flat bar road bike" and the other my utility/everyday bike. I thought real hard on maybe trading in the Coda Sport for a Jamis Sateilight triple crank road bike with drop bars but I don't think I could handle being in the drops much so I'd just be on the hoods all the time, don't see much difference in that and having a flat bar, jmho, ymmv. Have a most excellent day! :)
It woulnt hurt at all to take the Jamis out for a test ride and see if you can ride it comfortably. 98.7% of riding a road bike is on the hoods the rest of the time is divided by the top bar and the drops.:)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts