55+, just lost 100 lbs and want a city bike.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jimcollins, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Jimcollins

Jimcollins New Member

After a couple years of diet and exercise I am back to my ideal weight and fitness (55). It has been 25 years since I owned a bike. I want to start riding again. Bikes have changed in the last 25 years! I have tried several and I am sold on the full suspension of many modern bikes. It is a huge improvement for my now somewhat smaller A**. The one I tried and liked was a Cannondale with a superbly comfortable full suspension. Unfortunately I am 6' 4"/ 185 and the bike felt a bit like riding a tiny bike, like those bears in the russian circus ;-) Bottom line, any recommendations for a full suspension bike for mostly city and a bit of off-road suitable for a tall man?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  2. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I have no recommendations, Just wanted to say Hi from the Swamps of South Jersey

3. gs46

gs46 Pedaling Old Man

I guess I don't understand full suspension for city riding. Front suspension maybe, but rear isn't really nessasary is it? I like the Hybrid type bike for what you have discribed as your type of riding. But to each his own. I ride the same way...some gravel and paved bike paths and of course the suburban area. Take a look at the Specialized Crosstrail Comp or Pro.

4. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Are you being fitted for bikes before you try them?

5. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Going off Dean's question....do you know what the size was of the bike you tried??