Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Outdoorholic.
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
High all. As I am in my 60's I thought I would post a comment in this column. As the title says - I am an expat Kiwi living in Japan. Along with my wife we have been back here for 13-year and am loving it.

When living in N.Z. we were involved in kayaking, hiking and off-road cycling (mountain-biking) but, here we are only able to hike and cycle. There is so much to see and experience here with much history added to the scenic beauty.I do a lot of cycle touring and prefer the relaxed style but, from time-to-time, I have been known to do a gut-busting ride. Now and then my wife joins me and we head out into the country, find a cafe, and explore.

Please feel free to connect with me and that way we can share what we are doing. I have some great photos on my page, if I say so myself, that might tempt you to head-off in this direction for your next cycling holiday.

I hope to hear from you - theoutdoorholic.

Attachments

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,288 Posts
Expectations of pics of some really scenic cool faraway places is very high. Feel free to flood us with lots of more.............outdoorholic huh? There's a 12 step program for people to try and get into this instead of out of, lol. Hello, my name is Jeff & I'm also an outdoorholic. I look forward to you sharing further stories of your "struggles". :D

·
Outdoorholic.
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sure have but, in saying that, any place on this planed would be suitable for me to ride in.
Are you up-to-much? Been on any good rides lately?
Here, summer is here and with it, the very hot weather.
Hope your week is going great. keep in touch.

·
Outdoorholic.
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Jeff. Thanks for your interest. No ride today, thanks to the rain, but hope to get in a good long ride over the weekend.
Are you up-to-much? Keep in touch. Looking forward to sharing stuff with you. I'll try and post another image. Cheers - Ross-Barry.

Attachments

·
Two "Slow" Spoke
3,445 Posts
Hi outdoor. Glad you are back with us. We used to have a poster on here who is an Aussie (I think), that was living in Japan. He posted some really great photos of Japan's scenery and architecture. I am looking forward to your tales of adventure in the fascinating land of the rising sun.

·
Mountain Tourer
719 Posts
Just saw your pictures, welcome Outdoor! I did some riding in Kiwi Country last Spring and loved it. How is the riding in Japan? We are now relocated Californians and now ride in Idaho.

Attachments

·
Outdoorholic.
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi 'Cybersnow',
Thanks for reading and responding to my post. I sometimes miss my outdoor activities in N.Z. - we lived in an area that was surrounded by five National/Quasi-National Parks. But, here in Japan, I am equally satisfied with what is available. Luckily we live on the outskirts of the city and not engulfed by buildings etc, so I am only a few minutes away from my favorite environment.
Are you a lone cyclists, or are you accompanied by others? My wife and I sometimes get-out together. Although she only has an 18-gear bike (mine is a 17-gear) we are restricted as to terrain. Most times we take a picnic, fine a good location, and chill-out.
The 'Rainy Season' is upon us here, with the 'Typhoon Season' waiting in the wings, so have to take my chances when to go. Are you up to much at the moment?
Whatever your plans for the upcoming weekend, have a great few days.
Cheers,
Ross-Barry.

Attachments

·
Mountain Tourer
719 Posts
Great Pictures!
My wife and I are pretty much lone bikers as many of our friends are either still working or non biking. Being retired we tend to do most of our riding during the week as the back roads fill up with "week end road warriors". We live up in the mountains about 160km from Boise Idaho in a mountainous area with many small lakes and so many little mining towns.

As for this weekend, we did a 50km ride yesterday and now are huddled in for the weekend awaiting a house full of guests. As for plans, we are going to ride across Idaho in two weeks, but have already made reservations at hotels along the way. At 71, like a hot shower and soft bed at the end of my day. We call it glamping, ha ha.

I will try to remember to take some pictures on the ride and will post them when we get back.

Until then, take care!

·
Outdoorholic.
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, 50km, that's a good ride. Because my wife doesn't have the time - she is a registered nurse and works god-all hours - about 20-to-30km ride is our limit. But she does well.
I envy your upcoming ride across Idaho. Glamping is popular here in Japan and, in 2-weeks time, my wife, mother-in-law, and myself are off for an overnight stay.Do you have a blog site where you post your trips? If so, please I would like to subscribe to it. This is my site - This Piece of Rock. I am also on Facebook & Google+.
Hope your weekend goes well. I have a big ride planned for tomorrow, about 100km. Hopefully will have images to share.

·
3,510 Posts
Great Pictures!
My wife and I are pretty much lone bikers as many of our friends are either still working or non biking. Being retired we tend to do most of our riding during the week as the back roads fill up with "week end road warriors". We live up in the mountains about 160km from Boise Idaho in a mountainous area with many small lakes and so many little mining towns.

As for this weekend, we did a 50km ride yesterday and now are huddled in for the weekend awaiting a house full of guests. As for plans, we are going to ride across Idaho in two weeks, but have already made reservations at hotels along the way. At 71, like a hot shower and soft bed at the end of my day. We call it glamping, ha ha.

I will try to remember to take some pictures on the ride and will post them when we get back.

Until then, take care!
Most definitely you WILL take pics! Please, please please! I've never been! Oh wait.. spanning Idaho... narrow panhandle? From top to bottom? Fat bottom east to west?
Looks like lots of mountains... stay safe you two. Looking forward to your narratives

·
3,510 Posts
Outdoorholic... although I've never been to either country, New Zealand and Japan bring up images of fantastic adventures. I love watching people's adventures oon YouTube and reading about them. I'll check out your blog. Keep sending your adventures.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.