Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the idea of making a 50+ forum came up, I thought a 60+ would be better. 50+ has been done. Rola and I can post in 50+. Wouldn't the elder wheelmen prefer a more elite group?

I propose this forum be upgraded to 60+. Those in support of this idea say yay, opposed say nay. I'm not trying to marginalize the old folks, but a recent survey shows 50+ includes most of us. A forum dedicated to the older riders shouldn't include the majority in my opinion.

Your thoughts?

·
Two skinny J's
21,370 Posts
When the idea of making a 50+ forum came up, I thought a 60+ would be better. 50+ has been done. Rola and I can post in 50+. Wouldn't the elder wheelmen prefer a more elite group?

I propose this forum be upgraded to 60+. Those in support of this idea say yay, opposed say nay. I'm not trying to marginalize the old folks, but a recent survey shows 50+ includes most of us. A forum dedicated to the older riders shouldn't include the majority in my opinion.

Your thoughts?
lol, I thought fiddy was elder :D

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
When I asked for this forum to be added, it wasn't meant to be for cycling related issues but more for all issues related to cyclist over the age of 50. There are some of us that are over 60 (66 in October) but there aren't enough to warrant a forum for just a few. Making it a 50 + forum covers more members and can trickle down information and life experiences about health related subjects to anything else that is a common topic when you pass the age of 50.

If there are enough members that want to change the name to 60+, at hat is OK with me.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It seems to me that there are more regular contributors in the 60+ group than in the 50-60.

When you suggested a 50+ forum, I thought a 60+ would be of greater value. I was going to mention at that time, but the 50+ forum was created very quickly after your suggestion, before I could comment.

I still think it's a good idea. I don't think the threads would get fewer views or less participation. I have greater respect for 60+ riders than 50 somethings. A forum for 60+ would be a recognition of lifelong cyclists and a place for the rest of of to learn from their experience.

But if no one likes my idea, that's OK.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
How many active 60+ members do we have? How often would a 40+ rider look in on our discussions & would they reply?
I'm quite happy with a dozen miles per ride which is just a warm-up for most members. I have not been riding all my life. I did ride for a couple years in the '70s then nothing till a few months ago.
Start a 60+ & I'll participate.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Here's the dilemma every forum admin faces. Do we make a 60+, further splintering the forums, or do we politely direct you to the 50+ group? At what age does age become a significant factor? The twenty-ish group is generally single, and can do as they please. By the time you are in your thirties, perhaps family commitments interfere with riding. By 40 or so, the kids are generally self-sufficient, and you're settled in your career, so you have some time and maybe a bit of expendable income. Fifty is when most of us might see the kids out on their own, but we have to start taking health into consideration. You may have an awesome mileage base, but you also heal slower.

Forgive me (at 42) for asking, but is there a huge leap from 50+ to 60+? Rola is a new 50, Andy and Wild are seasoned vets of senior discounts, if I recall correctly. But is there really that much separating the groups in general?

Making the forums is a few clicks, so that's no big deal. :)

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
why split it? at 52 I feel I'm just a kick in the a$$ away from 60 at least that's how fast I went from 40 to 50, some of the issues the 60+ crowd would talk about are things I want to hear anyway, maybe I can learn something and then see it coming? Besides how many people will actually post to most of the threads anyway maybe 30 or 35 of us? I read threads all the time that aren't in my wheel house but what a great way to learn. Wether its less serious riders learning from the more serious guys or younger learning things from older guys, I think you would have the same people reading these posts. for instance I love reading intergrate's posts even though I can only execute about 10 percent of what he is talking about. and xela always has excellent insights on topics that previous to my finding two spoke I had no knowledge of. I wouldn't want to miss these posts just because I didn't think I was age appropriate. after all it is just one big community. I say leave it at fifty and if it matters let the poster mention age if he or she feels it makes a difference to the post they are writing. In the words of one of our fellow posters, just my ¢¢

·
Two skinny J's
21,370 Posts
I don't see the need for another split. I was under the impression 50 + was all encompassing, if you will. Besides, then I would miss all of Wilds and Andy's posts :)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't see the need for another split. I was under the impression 50 + was all encompassing, if you will. Besides, then I would miss all of Wilds and Andy's posts :)
No one suggested a split, or a forum which you could not view.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
It's not a matter of not being able to view it. But from 50 up, I'm under the impression that the issues will be the same whether you are 57 or 63 or 71. Well, mostly. :)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
60 is greater than 50. A small change to make the forum less "all-encompassing" as rola put it.

I think it's a good idea, but no one agrees, so let's not do it. :)

It does not matter to me. It would be to enhance the forum.

Another site has 50 plus. Well ours could "go to eleven". To distinguish the older rider. Fifty just ain't that old.

Perhaps if I was 60+ myself this idea would have been better received. But it's probably impossible to get people to agree to this change when no one, myself included, has a problem with the existing format. I knew it would be like trying to change the course of a river which is why I was hesitant to suggest it. But I decided to throw it out there anyway.

As others point out, anyone could read the threads and post in them.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I kind of like it 50+ where them young kids can ask us old cranks some Questions ;) :D
Old is gold

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I kind of like it 50+ where them young kids can ask us old cranks some Questions ;) :D
Old is gold
Questions posed in a fifty plus forum are directed towards the rider of average age (for this site's demographic) and above average age. A sixty plus would be a place to ask "old cranks" questions. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts