650b

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by Mootsguy, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Mootsguy

Mootsguy A Red Headed Stepchild

I rather think that the 650b wheel size will one day be the standard for mountain bikes. I was wondering if anyone here has spent time on a 650b bike?

Curious because I am very close to pulling the trigger on the purchase of a Jamis 650bxc.

Anyway I would be interested in hearing about your experiences with 650b wheels.

2. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

i like the idea of them but im not sure they will overtake 26 and 29" rims that are more common.

3. Mootsguy

Keep in mind that there were not many 29" wheels or tires until people started buying them, all it will take is for some of us to start buying 650b and the manufacturers will quickly jump on board.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  4. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

I guess what I mean is, I think they "solve a problem" that a lot of mountain bikers don't have. I've never felt especially restricted by the 26" wheels on my current mountain bike but if I did I'd likely go to a 29er because there are so many frame/wheel/tire choices that are inexpensive and widely available. Since 650b is still a pretty niche market the only advantage I personally see from that would be having something different.

Disclosure: I'm 6'2" and ride hardtail so suspension geometries and smaller frame sizes are not really a concern of mine, maybe the full suspension and shorter folks will prefer 650b to 29er so they can get more creative with the frame designs.

5. Mootsguy

I too am over six foot and at one time built up a S.I.R.9 from Niner and ended up not liking the ride in very tight singletrack conditions with switchback turns as I seemed to be more tired at the end of a ride that with my other bikes. I did like the way the bike rolled over rocks, roots and such though which is why I then converted one of my bikes to 69er.

That's also why I think the 650b combines the better parts of both 26 and 29 inch wheeled bikes. I am looking forward to getting a 650b.

6. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Until you've tackled singletrack and rock gardens on a tandem, don't complain. :D

7. Mootsguy

Indeed! :cool: