'84 Gitane Criterium

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by devinfan, May 6, 2010.

1. devinfan

devinfan New Member

Newest acquisition: 1984 Gitane Criterium. Super Vitus 983 & 980, Simplex and Stronglight. In NOS condition. Most importantly incredibly supple ride and GOES LIKE STINK! Never ridden anything like it.

Attached Files:

2. ScottRyder

ScottRyder New Member

wow, that is a beauty!

Scott

3. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

4. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Nice! The leather saddle work well for you? I had one and it didn't fit right at all for my riding style.

5. devinfan

devinfan New Member

I actually moved this saddle (an Ideale 80) onto the Gitane, because it travels from bike to bike, whichever one I am riding most. This saddle has served me well on several centuries and a couple of double centuries as well. I find a leather saddle takes at least a few hundred kilometers to even begin to break in, but once they do they're worth it. I have tried Brooks swifts, Swallows, Pro's, B17's but nothing beats the "saddleback' shape of the Ideale 80. I would tell you to pick one up on ebay but I am slowly trying to collect them so that I always have one.

Having said that, everyone is different - so I guess there's a different saddle for everyone! Also leather saddles don't look right on every bike, and I will sacrifice comfort for aesthetics on a bike that is not seeing a lot of distance.

6. devinfan

devinfan New Member

Thanks Scott! I am curious, how is that beautiful Fuji you scored working out for you?