Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a couple of law makers in Iowa who think this is a partisan issue and as such are against the Bicycle Safety Bill. Therefore they are holding it up on purpose so it can not be debated with the hope it will die or not make it through this year. This is not true and is foolish nonsense. The bill has already gained bi-partisan support.

I have to wonder why they are truly doing this. I wonder if some motorist group or even if the safety coalition who wants to ban cyclists from roadways have put them up to this.

A request has gone out asking people to contact their representatives to ask the 2 who are holding this up to let it go through so it can be debated. I have submitted my requests.

Here is the article from the IBC:

ACTION NEEDED: Bike Safety Bill Push For Debate

The Bike Safety Bill is being held up by two legislators:

House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy ([email protected])
Your Representative. (Iowa General Assembly - Find Your Legislator)

PLEASE SEND TWO SEPARATE EMAILS IN SUPPORT OF THE BIKE SAFETY BILL AND 5' PASSING DISTANCE.

Representative McCarthy is blocking the bill from debate in the House. He thinks the debate will take too much time. He needs to know a lot of work has been done on the bill over the past few months and the amendment is gaining bi-partisan support.

Your legislator needs to ask Representative McCarthy to let the Bike Safety Bill pass in the Iowa House. Your legislator, no matter which party, can make the difference for smooth debate and passage of the Bike Safety Bill.

SAMPLE EMAIL TO MCCARTHY ([email protected])

Dear Representative McCarthy,

Please allow debate on the Bike Safety Bill, amended Senate File 117. The amendment to this bill is fair to both motorists and bicyclists.

We need a 5' passing law for bicyclists. This isn't a partisan issue, it is a traffic safety issue. There is support from both parties for this proposal.

The required passing distance could save lives. The dangerous behavior towards vulnerable highway users should not be tolerated in Iowa.

Sincerely,
YOUR NAME

SAMPLE EMAIL TO YOUR LEGISLATOR ((Iowa General Assembly - Find Your Legislator)

Dear Representative ,

I reside in your district and support bicycling. I support the amended bicycle safety bill and would like to see it passed into law. Could you ask Representative McCarthy to allow debate on the Bike Safety Bill, amended Senate File 117. The amendment to this bill is fair to both motorists and bicyclists.

We need a 5' passing law for bicyclists. This isn't a partisan issue, it is a traffic safety issue. There is support from both parties for this proposal.

The required passing distance could save lives. The dangerous behavior towards vulnerable highway users should not be tolerated in Iowa.

Sincerely,
YOUR NAME

1 - 1 of 1 Posts