Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
♥'s Bicycles
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy everyone. I haven't been around much lately as I've been busy with a million other things and not really biking much. I've always said, "People find time for what is important to them" and I decided that as busy as I am, cycling is important to me and I should make time for it.

To kick off a new year of cycling I decided to make some changes to an old friend. After reading the writings of the late Sheldon Brown I picked up a fixed gear bike and instantly fell in love with it. The bike was a 'bikesdirect' motobecane messenger and it has seen so many changes from bullhorns to cruiser bars and a 7-speed IGH and back to fixed gear again. This year I decided that as much as I liked the pearl-orange paint that it was in bad shape from chips and scratches and it needed a new look. While brainstorming what would make an awesome paint job I considered glow-in-the-dark, chalkboard paint, and a lot of different patterns until I came across a picture of a coral snake and I knew that was what I wanted the frame to look like.

So without further adeu....

I tore the masking tape and used the torn sides to make more natural/uneven edges. Masking for 3 different colors like this is a huge pain in the arse but I am very happy with the end result. I can't wait for it to finish curing so I can put it back together and go ride the thing.

For reference:

·
717 Posts
I really like it....how about a matching helmet???

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I saw the gardening thread before I saw this one. I'm glad you're back with us, man. Awesome paint-job, too!

·
♥'s Bicycles
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Here is the obligatory garage door shot of the bike 95% assembled. After the pic was taken I adjusted the saddle height a bit and added a PDW Radbot-1000 rear blinky light to the mount you can see on the seat post in the pic.

The pic doesn't do justice to how badly the front brake needs to become black to match every single other piece on the bike but other than that I'm happy. Several people have mentioned that in addition to 'coral snake' the bike is Maryland colors. Honestly, I never even considered that until someone pointed it out but it works because not only do I live in Maryland but I am employed by UMD (go Terps!).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts