a place to carry stuff thats easy to access

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by superj, Mar 7, 2018.

1. superj

superj still learning Tavern Member

not being on a conventional bike, I am always trying to find ways to conveniently carry things like my phone and ID that do not require me to get off the bike and dig through my pannier rack bags and is just easy to get to. its the lazy part of me and getting on and off the bike sucks when the MPs have a line of cars behind me.

anyways, I have always been looking for something that mounts on the chest because I can, obviously, not wear a back mounted pack. its actually a lot tougher than one would imagine, finding something that is front mounted and high enough that its not on your stomach, or my google-fu is not very good, but I finally found something that fits perfectly. it sits high and stays in place and has two compartments, with one being specifically for my pistol (it was designed for concealed carry). the front compartment has two little pouches in it and zips closed and the large back compartment has a center Velcro strip that fits a Velcro mounted holster for any pistol I want to take from my little north American arms and berretta 25 up to my commander size 1911. and the front of the pack has military style (I believe its called molle) mounting system that my phone case hangs from.

the pack is made by a company called Hill People Gear. they are ex-military guys who are outdoorsmen and seem to have had a need for the same type of pack I did, but their reason was a bit different, they needed a comfortable easy to access place to carry a pistol while wearing a large ruck. hmm, cool dudes.

on with my (turning into a long) story... I ordered a recon bag and it showed up in a decent amount of time. it was a bit more than I wanted to pay but everything is now a days so I paid up. the first couple times I put it on, it was hard to get adjusted properly and i had to get my wife to help set the straps. i was bummed out because what would i do if not for my beautiful wife and she might not be home every time i wanted to ride my bike but after a while i figured it out, i was trying to adjust the top straps and then the bottom strap which is not the correct way. if you do the strap that goes around your chest while the bag is lower and than pull the strap that keep the bag up, everything works nicely.

so, i have a few months time on the bag and still think it is the best thing in the world. i can hear and answer my phone while riding and can listen to music without blasting everyone out around me because the phone is about 6 or 9 inches from my face now. i don't have to use a speaker mounted somewhere on my bike that runs on Bluetooth and kills my phone battery. my ID and wallet are right up front, i don't even have to sit up from my comfortable seat to show my ID to get on base. no one has any idea i have a pistol on me, or a knife, or anything i want to hide in the bag for self defense and the quick pull access works great. i reach up with my left hand and pull the corner and the back compartment opens allowing my right hand straight access to the grip of which ever pistol i have on me.

here is a link to the one I got. you can check it out if you want another easy to carry place to have things while riding.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1/ProductID/5

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    FRISKY and John_V like this.
  2. John_V

John_V Well-Known Member Tavern Member

I've seen a few bent riders at the park wearing netted photographers vests to carry stuff in. Not sure how well they conceal a handgun.

3. rushlake

rushlake Member Tavern Member

A lightweight fly fishing vest?

4. superj

I looked at those but they didn't conceal well. and you have to watch with straps on those because you will be leaning on them the whole time so if they have buckles on the back, they dig into you.

this pack has a mesh back so you don't even feel it when leaning back.

5. superj

this just worked particularly well for what I wanted, especially being able to conceal a weapon. some neighborhoods are not the best and I have had conversations with people I was worried were there to steal my bike when sitting at lights. luckily, nothing ever happened, but I sure was worried.

and when we ride out in the country, I have had to outrun some large aggressive dogs. if one of the pack had gotten a hold of me and drug me down then the others would have had an easy lunch and I could have done nothing. now I have a knife and a pistol within easy reach.

that's another thing I have always worried about, being robbed and not being able to quickly access my stuff. with everything in the rack mounted bag, if someone knocked me down and took off with my bike, they got my pistol too. now, they don't so I don't have to worry about dealing with a stolen pistol on top of a stolen bike. now, they knock me down and try to beat me up while robbing me and I have a little defense.

I was riding way out in the country one time and these guys in a four door truck gave me some problems. they actually stopped ahead of me on the road and attempted to get me to stop so they could fight me. they were all big ol country guys and I am not, I am only 5'8" and 190 so it would have probably went badly for me. this way, I have an equalizer on me so if I get into that type of predicament, and am not able to escape, at least I won't be in the hospital.

6. rushlake

rushlake Member Tavern Member

A squirt to the face with a water bottle is pretty effective with dogs also. I sent one running back to the ditch that way. He ran along the ditch for a while decided to take a second shot at it and I nailed him again and that was it he was done.

7. superj

that is good for a normal bike, RidesAlot, but for my bike, it would not work. I have something similar on my mountain bike and I like it.

water never worked for me, on dogs. maybe they are already thirsty so they just take it to hydrate while chasing us

8. MilesR

MilesR Mom's Taxi

I'm told if you add some ammonia to the water it works wonders!

superj likes this.
  9. superj

Ha ha ha, i bet it does

10. longjohn

longjohn tall old member

I use HALT, it works real well and is easy to carry.

superj likes this.
  11. Michigander

Michigander Member

Personally I think that thing has about as strong of an indication of a gun in it as a fishing vest away from water or a fanny pack post 2000. That said, for most regions, those who know don't care. Definitely seems to me like it has that vibe of the sensibilities of people who have worn plate carriers/LBVs and know the advantages of carrying things up high. Which kind of leads into my next question, how does it feel on your shoulders when weighted down as heavy as you've had it?

superj likes this.
  12. kneedrachen

kneedrachen Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

did you try terracycle?

Dos_Ruedas and superj like this.
  13. superj

it actually does not bother me. the only thing I wish, now that I have been using it a while, is I had gotten the larger pack. I wish I could put a little more into this bag without it being squished feeling. my buddy, gilbert, is going to order the larger one though so I can compare them.

I think that since I mount my phone and my id carrier on the outside, most people think I am just using it for snacks and phone access. the MPs don't even ask what I have in it when I go on base and military bases are gun free zones.

teracycle? like for a pack? no, I don't think I did because I just googled for about a month or two trying to find something. I talked to some bag manufacturers about making something like this but they didn't think the market was big enough. luckily, someone did make it, though

newleaf150 and Michigander like this.
  14. kneedrachen

next time you need a bag, revelate designs might be a good option too...of course, the F40 has that built in trunk....

15. superj

I cannot open that link, merlin. work blocks it

revelate designs, checking it out

16. superj

wow, they have some cool stuff. its still mounted to the bike so if I got knocked off, I would lose access but other wise, they have some cool bags. I like the digital camo on the single track bags, ha ha ha

17. kneedrachen

you need to re-up as a reservist....

18. superj

I know. I keep thinking about it, or as a national guard guy. last time I went in, the age cut off was 38 though, and I am passed that by a bit now