A summer cold

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Xela, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I know for a fact I'm not the only one around here that still has or has recently had a summer cold. It's 100 degrees here today, so it seems a weird time to get a cold. The symptoms I still have feel like a cold with stuffy head, sinus drainage, etc; but this thing started in a weird manner. I was at work last Thursday and instantly started feeling dizzy and achy. I tried to tough it out, but had to go home early. I got to feeling extremely bad Thursday night and had a fever of 100.8 at one point. By Friday morning, the fever was gone and it just felt like the common cold.

I'm tired of waiting for this crap to totally leave, and I'm thinking about going out and riding later today anyway. From what I've read, it seems okay to exercise with a cold, just don't go too hard or expect too much from yourself. Anyone disagree?

I also saw through some of my online reading that really strenuous exercise can actually increase the risk of getting a cold.

2. retromike3

retromike3 retromike3

your already "working out"

I would take a couple of days off and let your body heal up. The damage done to your system is being repaired now. If you go on a big ride and work out, it may not help you out, maybe just a little cruse to see how you feel first. The time your resting is the time your mussels are building. not during the ride. and if your body has been put though a bit of stress already it may not help to do too much to fast.

I used to work in the shop of a Olympic cycling coach and he told me "eat before your hungry drink before your thirsty and rest before your tired.(of course his version of tired was a bit different than most humans.)

mike

3. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

To my experience, working out with a cold makes it worse, but you might be different. What ever you do, don't push yourself to hard, especially if you're still dizzy.

4. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Thanks for the advice. Went with local pizza and some fine craft brews. I can feel my body thanking me right now.

5. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Are you sure your not just buzzed? I feel that way when I'm buzzed. I also like to fight... Colds...

6. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I am one of those individuals that has had a summer time cold...though I didn't have some of the more severe symptoms like Xela had. No fever or dizziness for me. I got my cold last Monday (a little over a week ago) and was stuck working doubles at work with really no choice. I took Friday off and actually went for a ride with a buddy of mine. When I woke up that morning, I felt like crap but as the day passed on, I thought it would be nice to test how I was feeling on the bike. The key here is that I only road for 1 hour, and it was moderate at best. Nice and easy. Saturday I was feeling better so I went out for a normal group ride. Big mistake!!! At mile 20 I thought my lungs were catching fire...luckily for me, my team is awesome and they let me sit on the back of the pace line and suck wheel. I made it through the 60 mile ride, but barely. Sunday I took a leisure ride and was feeling great by Monday (yesterday). I think I am close to 100% now.

7. Hardtail

Hardtail Ridin Dirty

8. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

I have stopped two summer colds with Vitamin C, every four hours, Damn It.

You can not take to much C so keep taking it you will just pass the extra.

And Be Sure the "C" is from Rose Nip.

If it doesn't work then take a good book to be with you! (or someone who has read one)

9. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I can't read when I'm sick. I can whine and throw myself around like it's far worse than what it is.

10. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Taking Zinc helps as well.

I've been dealing with a cold as well lately. Sore throat, running nose. Little guy has had the same thing and ran a fever for a couple hours.

11. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I hate when my kid gets sick, that's the worst.

12. flyingdog

flyingdog Member

Being originally from the midwest, I'm very familiar with the summer cold. Probably one of the nastiest illnesses one can get. Closest you can get to feeling like Death Warmed Over, for sure. Boy...if you could lay your hands on some Triaminicin, you'd swear miracles do exists. Coarse, you'd have to delve into the black market to score any.

Acetaminophen is a pain reliever and fever reducer.

Chlorpheniramine is an antihistamine that reduces the natural chemical histamine in the body. Histamine can produce symptoms of sneezing, itching, watery eyes, and runny nose.

Pseudoephedrine is a decongestant that shrinks blood vessels in the nasal passages. Dilated blood vessels can cause nasal congestion (stuffy nose).

The combination of acetaminophen, chlorpheniramine, and pseudoephedrine is used to treat runny or stuffy nose, sinus congestion, sneezing, and pain or fever caused by allergies or the common cold.

Acetaminophen, chlorpheniramine, and pseudoephedrine may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.

It was the Pseudoephedrine that caused it's demise. Just goes to show the more we advance the farther we fall behind.

Attached Files:

• sc.jpg
      sc.jpg
      File size:
      5.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  13. joeleitz

joeleitz New Member

Ha, ha that's funny! I'm a pretty big whiner when I'm sick too. I hate it when I'm too sick even to get out on my one of my fixed gear bikes. I'm just a big baby really and Summer colds always seem to be the worst.