Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is not my first tire change but it is the most troublesome. tonight i ate up two innertubes via pinch flats trying to get the darn tire on the rim. the last 6 to 8 inches are a complete and total pain in the rear and that's when and where it happens.

why does it require so much force? its like the rim and tire aren't the same size but installed without a tube it fits perfectly.

i remember doing this hundreds of times and never has the difficulty level been so high. even broke a plastic lever during tonight's effort.

anyone have a tip, secret or advice to spare the life of another innertube?

btw the tubes are partially inflated and tires dusted with talcum powder.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, but i've practiced - hundreds of times already. there's something different about this tire / rim combo.

cool tire remover tool.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
If I had a tire/rim combo that tight, I'd make a note of it for tandem use. When we aired down for the trails, our tandem would have made Starsky & Hutch proud while cornering. The tire squeal was loud, and I was afraid we'd peel one off. Road bikes are a different story.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
A little bit of soap and watter also check and see if the tire is all the way down in the center of the rim on the outher side from that last little bit. I allso blow the tube and tire up and let the air out a fue times befor the final fill, it seats the tube,

My ¢¢

·
Registered
62 Posts
I bought a pair of alumium tire levers to keep in my bike tool box. I prefer to use the plastic whenever possible, just to keep from gouging the rim with the lever. But when I come across a tire that just won't get over that last bit of rim, they really help get the job done. BTW, I haven't seen the alumium levers in any bike shop, but they can be found at Amazon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
note for tandems - WTB 1.5" slick w/ flatguard on Bontrager Mavericks.

soap and water lubricant? hadn't considered that. i'll give it a try tonight.

my lever inventory 1 plastic (probably nylon) and two steel. aluminum sounds like a better choice.

thanks for all the feedback.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts