Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
If you used your bike cargo trailer for groceries, where would you park it? Should it be parked near the store entrance where you can securely lock your bike?
Of course, why would you park/lock it in a manner different from your regular bike? Particularly if there is a bike rack close to the store entrance.

On a related note, the other day when I rode over to my local supermarket I did a fellow cyclist a "solid." We got there about the same time with the other cyclist being a second or two behind me. He was going to lock his bike by the front wheel only. Given that he had a QR on his bike it wouldn't have been anything for someone to open the QR and be gone with the bike before he got back to it.

He thanked me, and relocked his bike in a more secure manner, i.e. going through the frame and the front wheel. Hopefully he'll remember the friendly word of advice he received that night.

·
Registered
243 Posts
He was going to lock his bike by the front wheel only. Given that he had a QR on his bike it wouldn't have been anything for someone to open the QR and be gone with the bike before he got back to it.
I see a lot of wheels locked to bike racks with no bikes attached to them on campus. It kind of amazes me every time I see it, but it is sad.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
It seems like a dumb question because it's main intent was hiding a Spammy link. It was almost hidden too well. Better luck next time, heyanna from Portland via China.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I see a lot of wheels locked to bike racks with no bikes attached to them on campus. It kind of amazes me every time I see it, but it is sad.
I agree, I see that too often as well, which is why I spoke up and said something to the other cyclist. And I agree that it is sad.

As we were talking and I was letting him know that how he was going to lock his bike wasn't the best idea. I pointed out to him that the front wheel is the cheapest to replace, and that with a QR on his front hub it'd just be seconds for someone to take his bike and be gone.

I guess though on a kind of "good note" is that considering that my bike was the more expensive of the two that had he locked his bike in the manner that he started to do. That a would be thief seeing my bike securely locked to the bicycle rack and his only locked by the front wheel that his bike would have been the "easier target." Thus making my bike a little more secure.

But given how he was locking his bike up, I couldn't walk away. Like I said, hopefully he'll remember the friendly advice that night.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts