Absolute 1.0 HELP

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by wild, Dec 7, 2009.

1. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I don't want to hijack the outher Absolute thread so her is my question

2010 or 2009 what way would you go ?

The 2010 has Shimino mechnical disc brakes BR-M495 and weight is 2# more than the 2009

The 2009 has Tektro brakes 926al min-V, with modulator and I can get it for $200 less than the 2010

Allso I was wondering about the disc brake mounted on the carbon fork ?

The only outher differences I see are, wheels , seat, and the MSRP of the 2010 is about $100 less than the 2009.

2. telliemj

telliemj New Member

Absolute 1.0

I'm not going to tell you which way to go but I have read some reviews on the mechanical disks that come with this bike and I will not say that they aren't going to be better than the V-brakes but I will say that you might want to look into finding out whether the mounts for these disk brakes and the avid bb7 brakes are universal because you may want to upgrade after having the bike. It is hard to know what is the right thing to do. I suppose you should ask urself if you can wait that long and if u can than wait and if you can't or you don't think you need the disk brakes than you could save the cash and put it towards a computer or something else.

3. wild

Come on a little HELP please, someone must have an opinion on this.

4. telliemj

telliemj New Member

Here is my opinion. If you are hell bent on disk brakes then go ahead and wait. But while you are waiting I would look into the versatility of the mount placement on these forks because once you do finally get this bike you may find that you are not happy with this braking system as I have heard that this disk system is very entry level. I must admit though that I do not know what you will be doing with this bike and you may find when you get it that the brakes work great for what you need them for. But in my opinion if your gonna spend $1100 for a bike it would be good to know that if you dont like the brakes, you could upgrade them to a better set without adding new mounts or w/e else.

Another thing to consider is that typically disk brake systems cost more than v-brake systems and if the preous years bike was being sold at the same price there is a good chance that the components got cheaper from the 2009 model. If you can save $200 or w/e and get better components with only lossing the entry level disk brakes you may be happier going that route as well.

I think you know what each bike represents and the components and prices that go with them, and its just a matter of determining what you are going to use it for and if the disk brakes are worth the price differance between the two bikes as well as the possibility that the components will be lower grade. I do not know that for a fact but you might want to check to verify. I know the 7.6 FX components changed a little bit and so did other models from other companies.

Ultimitely no know can tell you what to do which means your going to have to make a decision. I tried to get people to make up my mind too in my thread and I only ended up with more questions. Good Luck!!

5. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Buy the cheapest model year. There is not enough difference in the two to get worked up about.

How's that for getting at it!!!???

6. telliemj

telliemj New Member

HAHA thats getting it done!

What is ur opinion on the 2009 7.6 FX trek, the Giant Rapid 1 and the Giant Rapid 2!! Let me know what you think and also why you think that way if you would.

7. wild

I have not looked into the Giant or Trek bikes as the bike shop I use does not carry those brands.
    I think the 2010 has some better components but the quality may not be as good on some.
    As for what I want to do with the bike I just ride on the roads out here 10 or 20 miles not a lot of stops 5 or 6 miles between roads. sand it the thing we get a lot of on the rim brakes and it seames to tare up the rims that is the main thing I wanted the disc brakes for.
    I want to thank those that posted I still have not made up my mind so keep the coments comeing.

8. KShep

KShep Zensunni Wanderer

I might try cleaning the pads after each ride to keep debris from building up on them and damaging the rims. If you can complete your loop with minimal braking then the damage to the rims should be insignificant over 10 to 15 miles.

I get the impression that you would prefer the mechanical disc brakes. If so, that's the bike you should buy. Maybe if you ordered one from the LBS it would arrive sooner.

9. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

the Trek has better name appeal but the Giant is a better value. That said, both are fine bikes and you would not be making an error in riding either.

I have mechanical brakes on a MTB and would not be without them. I think discs of any type are superior to pinch brakes if weight is not a big issue. I don't feel the need for discs on a road bike but they do good work there too. Again, buy discs on your roady if that is what you like.

I do not own a hybrid but have ridden the Giant Rapid in its lower price presentation. It had perfectly workable componentry and a good stiff ride. It has innovative alloy trapezoid frame members and it looks good. As you go up the bits get better and the wheels a tad lighter. I would be perfectly happy with the low end model as hybrids are not built for ultimate speed in the first place.

They are very useful as commuters and day riding in the country.

Pick the bike model that calls to you. Hard to make a mistake with current modern design and construction.

10. KShep

KShep Zensunni Wanderer

IIRC the 2009 Trek has a better component group that the 2010 model.

The Rapid One has a double CR so it would be good if your terrian is mostly flat or you're a masher. The Radid Two has a triple. Trek has a triple.

The Trek 7.6 wheelbase is 105.9 cm. Rapid wheelbase is 101.5. Trek chainstay is 2 cm longer. I have no idea how these geometry differences affect ride or handling.

The tires on the Rapid are 700x25....it's gonna ride a little rougher than the Trek. I have 700x32 rubber on my 7.7...ditched the OE 700x28.

Some folks have had issues with the Bontrager paired spoke design wheelset that came on the 2009 Treks. The 2010 models sport more tradiitional lacing.

If you can grab a 2009 Trek 7.6 FX I would take it over either Rapid, assuming a good fit.

If it's a 2010 I'd want to ride all of them before deciding.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  11. telliemj

telliemj New Member

Thank you!

I know what you mean about the 2009 model trek having better components than the 2010 model. I have pretty much decided that I will either get the 2009 trek or if I can't get that I will go for one of the rapids. Thank you very much!

12. wild

looks like I will be waiting for the 2010 Absolute 1.0
    I would like to thank every one for there coments :thumbsup:

13. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I suppose your window of opportunity closed? I would have taken the 2009, worked the dealer for an even deeper discount, if possible, then put the $200 or more savings towards a set of Avid discs brakes, which can be found new on eBay for well under $200.

14. telliemj

telliemj New Member

Question for Hack

Would you be able to mount them with on the frame and fork being that the bike came with v-brakes? Would the mounts be there for the disk brakes?

15. jagonz456

jagonz456 New Member

straight bar road bike

So the choice is yours you would have to spend almost double the store price of the fuji to get the same parts in a trek. I have highlighted all the components that are the same or better in each bike. I highlighted the Name trek in the 7.6 model because thats the only thing it has over the others. (in some people's opinion) All Info are from The Manufacture and are all 2010 bikes. Hey "wild" I would go with the 2010 Fuji Absolute 1.0 over the 2009 if you need to sell the bike the 2010 will easier to sell. I live in Central NJ (not to far from the swamps) and my local bike shop has the 2010 Fuji Absolute 1.0 for $875 email me if your interested the first orders should be here in the next 2 weeks.

Giant Rapid 0
    MSRP $1350 store price $1150-1250
    frame ALUXX-Grade aluminum
    fork Advanced-Grade Composite, Alloy OverDrive Steerer
    handlebar Giant Contact, flat 31.8
    stem Giant Connect SL
    seatpost Giant Connect SL Composite, 30.9
    saddle Selle Royal Seta W or M
    pedals Shimano PD-M505 Clipless
    shifter Shimano R770
    front derailleur Shimano R440
    rear derailleur Shimano 105
    brakes Shimano Dual Pivot, Long Reach
    brake levers Tektro Alloy
    cassette Shimano 105 12x25, 10-speed
    chain Shimano 105
    cranks Shimano 105, 34/50
    bb Shimano, external
    rims Mavic Aksium Race
    hubs Mavic Aksium Race
    spokes Mavic Aksium Race
    tires Michelin Lithion, 700x25 Folding
    extras Alloy bar-ends

Fuji Absolute 1.0
    MSRP $1167 Store $875-950

MAIN FRAME Fuji Altair 2 aluminum with Tear Drop down tube, Double water bottle mounts
    REAR TRIANGLE Fuji Altair 2 custom tapered aluminum, Fuji forged road dropout w/Disc tabs and replaceable derailleur hanger
    FORK FC-770 Fuji Bonded Carbon Trekking w/ 1 1/8" Alloy Steerer, Disc tabs
    CRANKSET FSA Gossamer, 30/39/50T
    BOTTOM BRACKET FSA Mega EXO
    PEDALS Wellgo LU-962 Full alloy platform w/ toeclip
    FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano FD-R773, 31.8mm
    REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano 105, 10 sp.
    SHIFTERS Shimano SL-R770 Flat bar road components
    CASSETTE Shimano 105, 12-27, 10 sp.
    CHAIN Shimano 105
    FRONT HUB Fuji Sealed Disc hub, 28H QR
    REAR HUB Fuji Sealed Disc hub Cassette, 32H QR
    SPOKES 14G Stainless Steel
    RIMS Alex R-500 Double Wall Alloy 28/32h
    TIRES Vittoria Zaffiro II, 700 X 28c
    TUBES Kenda Presta
    BRAKE SET Shimano Mechnical Disc brake BR-M495
    BRAKE LEVERS Tektro Men/Ladies specific w/Kraton insert
    HEADSET Tange IS-24 1 1/8" Integrated Road, with convex hollow alloy 15mm spacer
    HANDLEBAR Fuji Double Butted Aluminum
    STEM Fuji Aluminum, Removable Clamp
    TAPE/GRIP Fuji Ergo grip w/ integrated bar end
    SADDLE San Marco PROVIP R
    SEAT POST Fuji Micro-Adjust 27.2, alloy, 300mm
    SEAT CLAMP Aluminum 31.8mm Quick Release
    OTHER 7075 alloy water bottle bolts

Trek FX 7.6
    MSRP $1209 store $1100-1150

Frame FX Alpha Black Aluminum w/IsoZone monostay
    Fork Bontrager Nebula, carbon
    Wheels