achilles tendon pain

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Mike1jw, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

Just wondering if, and how others have dealt with this. I went out for a ride today, a little brisk and windy, but I was pumped up for a ride just the same. Not too long into the ride and I felt some pain in my achilles tendon. Dont know how I did it, or where it came from but it was there for sure. I tried to ride it out, but it seemed like it was just getting worse, so I turned around and went home :( Anyone else ever deal with this? I would love some suggestions.

2. London

London Guest

achilles

Mike, that big tendon can be a real problem and can remain a problem for a long time. It's something you should see a sports physical therapist about. I'd stay away from most MDs. (I am one) Sports therapist see this kind of thing all the time and have a better background to help you.

That said, you did the right thing is stopping once the pain did not go away. Many times a person can work through minor aches and do no harm. The achilles is not one of those areas to play with. If you don't seek help, I'd rest it a few days and do a little bit of stretching and toe raises stand on the edge of a book. Just a little. During the day continue to flex the foot and point the toes, move the ankle joint. If this makes is worse stop. I doubt you have a real problem unless you can't walk. Still, the achilles is a large structure with a poor blood supply. It does not heal quickly and can take good time getting better. See a therapist if it does not get better in a few days.

3. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

Thanks London, From what I've been reading about this, your right on point.

4. madal

madal New Member

Do you stretch before exercise?

5. madal

madal New Member

It happened to me some years back, I was about 2miles into a training run, 1st climb and BANG!!!:eek::eek: and that was after stretching and a warm up:rolleyes:

6. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Have you changed your seat or bars lately? Are you wearing different shorts or shoes?

7. SpkSnppr

SpkSnppr New Member

See the therapist. I put up with my pain for a while and "Bam!" the tendon ruptured as I was pushing off the curb to run across the street in the rain. Surgery was needed to repair the tendon. Just got out of the cast 4 weeks ago or so. I was really lucky, I had virtually 100% flexibility when I got the cast off after 8 weeks. The ankle is very week but feels better than ever. See the therapist, crutches suck.