Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruptured my Achilles tendon and just had it repaired. I will be in a cast for 6 weeks and can put no weight on my foot. After 6 weeks I'll get a walking boot to keep the joint stabilized. Has anyone had this injury and repair? I am trying to find out when I may be able to use a stationary bike and when I may be able to get back on the road.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Sorry to hear. I work with a guy who will be taking the walking boot off of his second tear (he has torn both his left and right now) on Sunday. He did one playing touch football and the other playing recreational basketball. His doctor recommended that he take up cycling. Since he was not a cyclist, he can not answer your main question, but I'd be glad to run any other questions you might have by him, since he's someone that's been there...twice.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
I'd see a pt first to get their take. I would think you'd be able to do things sitting on a stability ball at the minimum.

With something like this, if you come back too soon, you will set yourself back a ton. If you've been in a boot for a while, don't be surprised if the opposite hip tightens up quite a bit. That isn't all that uncommon.

When is your next follow up visit?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Follow up is next Friday. In a splint now. Dr. wants swelling to go down before going to a cast. Crutches suck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quick update, no pain at the injury site. The opposite hip is tightening up. Don't have to go very far on the crutches to feel it. Crutches were a lot easier at 14 than they are at 53.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
I'd recommend hip strengthening and mobility ASAP. The faster you do it, the faster youll recover without compensations.

·
Registered
19 Posts
though you didn't ask -

supplement with zinc, the whole food type not grocery/drug store variety or foods high in the mineral. it assists our bodies in building proteins.

good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tips. The crutches are getting easier, but the hip is tightening. Will definitely start some flexibility work. Will also look for supplements.

The upper body is getting a pretty good workout daily. It's a long way from the parking garage to my office building's entrance, cardio.

On the bright side, I've lost 10 lbs in two weeks. Mostly because it is too much trouble to go to the kitchen and graze.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ruptured my Achilles tendon on Feb2, surgery on Feb 8, was splinted for 1 week, then began PT. I was in a walking boot by week 2 post op, starting to bear weight by week 3. The sooner you start PT, the better off you are. My foot was so stiff with very little range of motion after just 1 week of splinting.
I am going into week 9, wearing 2 shoes, still limping. PT twice a week. I have been using a stationary bike since week 3 of PT.
Good luck. It is a difficult injury, but you will recover. BTW, I am a 44 yo woman who was very active, never had an injury until this one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Splint 1 week. Cast for 4 weeks. Then walking boot. 3 weeks until the cast comes off. I hate crutches.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
robinettefamilyof05 said:
I ruptured my Achilles tendon on Feb2, surgery on Feb 8, was splinted for 1 week, then began PT. I was in a walking boot by week 2 post op, starting to bear weight by week 3. The sooner you start PT, the better off you are. My foot was so stiff with very little range of motion after just 1 week of splinting.
I am going into week 9, wearing 2 shoes, still limping. PT twice a week. I have been using a stationary bike since week 3 of PT.
Good luck. It is a difficult injury, but you will recover. BTW, I am a 44 yo woman who was very active, never had an injury until this one.
How long before you get on a trainer or bike?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone thought of going for Achilles tendon repair abroad? It may seem like a daunting experience but a number of people choosing orthopaedic foot, hip and knee surgery abroad. The key issue here seems to be to find the right surgeon and reliable clinic. It is just something to consider.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the cast off, in a boot. I had almost full motion when the cast was off. The doctor made me stop moving it. Apparently I'm supposed to keep it immobile. Can sort of walk again. Still have to keep the foot dry

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
SpkSnppr said:
Got the cast off, in a boot. I had almost full motion when the cast was off. The doctor made me stop moving it. Apparently I'm supposed to keep it immobile. Can sort of walk again. Still have to keep the foot dry
How jar your hips been affected? Noticed any aches and pains develop diagonal to the injury side?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
INTEGRATE said:
How jar your hips been affected? Noticed any aches and pains develop diagonal to the injury side?
Absolutely, lots of soreness and tightness while on the crutches on the opposite side from the injury. Much, much better now that I'm walking in a boot. Not perfect yet, my walking motion is not quite natural yet. It will be this way until the boot is off and I can get back to a natural gate.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dos_Ruedas said:
To those that have had this injury, what were you doing when it happened?
I was pushing off from a curb to run across the street in the rain. I knew exactly what it was when it happened. I have had right ankle problems since I was 14, I am 53 now, and had a motorcycle accident. Pins were needed, additionally I severely strained/sprained the connective tissue in the accident. Since then I have sprained the same ankle several times. I believe the ankle was weak, for lack of a better term, since the motorcycle accident. I also feel the Achilles tendon was somehow damaged in the accident and finally failed. Since the motorcycle accident I have, ridden cycled 500 miles in a week, hiked 50 miles on a trip, played football and baseball, cycled uphill, etc. There was occasional soreness in the tendon, but it always went away. It was slightly sore when it failed.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Try to keep mobility in the hips as much as possible. Can you do glute bridges in the floor yet?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
INTEGRATE said:
Try to keep mobility in the hips as much as possible. Can you do glute bridges in the floor yet?
Glute bridges are no problem. I can walk, exercise pretty much normally, but no real leg work. The toughest is that I can't ride my bike yet.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts