Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Seasider
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would be interested to hear US cyclists take on this:

To me, it is quite right and proper to give other cyclists you encounter a cheery wave/nod/smile/hello etc, however in the UK, the following generalised picture seems to happen:

Roadies on expensive bikes and wearing full racing regalia will acknowledge similarly kitted out other riders, but not generally acknowlege riders on MTB's or non road bikes...or even on road bikes if not fully kitted out in full regalia.This happens definitely if the roadie in question is wearing shades as well. lol
MTB'ers similar but not as bad.

Silly me, says hi to everyone. I ride a road bike both singlespeed and geared. If I am in a t shirt and ordinary shorts I am less likely to get a wave than if I am in lycra.Why is this? I would understand if nobody waved at all....then it would just be me

Any such curious behaviour in the US?

This post is not meant to offend anybody, but I am interested in the fact that it seems that within the common bond of cycling there are cliques that don't relate.:)

·
Seasider
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely seems to be the trend on this side of the Atlantic as well. We've been discussing this over on this thread for a little while. There's a lot of input there. But, yeah, the more expensive the bike, especially combined with a team get and shaved legs, seems to mean the more "elitist" the rider.

http://www.twospoke.com/forum/f27/bike-elitists-2211/
Thank you sir, was not aware and thanks for the link. Forgot the shaved legs lol

Shades and shaved legs....no chance.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Those guys all kitted out in team gear riding boutique bikes outfitted with aero wheels never wave to me when I am overtaking them on the hills.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
I generally say "good morning" or wave to pretty much everyone on the MUP. I also say "thank you" to those that respond to my "on your left" and move right to allow me to pass safely. Just common courtesy and how I was raised.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I think it's the same here, although MTB riders are always a generally friendly bunch, and more likely to acknowledge a commuter/family cyclist.

·
130 Posts
Here in Bucks County Pennsylvania I acknowledge all riders when out on a ride. If you pass another roadie regardless if you got the right bike and gear they still act like their @#%^ doesnt stink. Just a little nod would do.I find Hybrid and other riders more friendly.
Paul

·
889 Posts
I wave or nod at everyone. Other cyclist, runners, people walking their dogs...

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Hey when I drive my truck I wave at others driving trucks. Not many wave back but one wrong move and everyone one is waving.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
One thing to keep in mind if you wave and it makes you happy great. But if someone wont wave back why care. That person could be out training and concentrating on what they are doing. They could also be out riding a long distance and pasted a hundred riders during the day. Maybe their dog just died. There are a gadzillion reasons someone may not wave.
I generally give a wave or a nod but sometimes I dont.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Like EVERY other situation in the world.
some do it, some don't
some are jerks, some aren't
not all bikes or bicyclists are the same.

the snobbery and snooty will infiltrate every group out there

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Hey when I drive my truck I wave at others driving trucks. Not many wave back but one wrong move and everyone one is waving.
I wave to other cruisers when I am on my Harley. But I'll also admit to not waiving to punks on sport bikes, and people riding without helmets or reasonable safety gear.

·
1,393 Posts
I would be interested to hear US cyclists take on this:

To me, it is quite right and proper to give other cyclists you encounter a cheery wave/nod/smile/hello etc, however in the UK, the following generalised picture seems to happen:

Roadies on expensive bikes and wearing full racing regalia will acknowledge similarly kitted out other riders, but not generally acknowlege riders on MTB's or non road bikes...or even on road bikes if not fully kitted out in full regalia.This happens definitely if the roadie in question is wearing shades as well. lol
MTB'ers similar but not as bad.

Silly me, says hi to everyone. I ride a road bike both singlespeed and geared. If I am in a t shirt and ordinary shorts I am less likely to get a wave than if I am in lycra.Why is this? I would understand if nobody waved at all....then it would just be me

Any such curious behaviour in the US?

This post is not meant to offend anybody, but I am interested in the fact that it seems that within the common bond of cycling there are cliques that don't relate.:)
I think an equal number of people are ride in any scenario - have had kitted out roadies ignore when I am on my hybrid or when I am kitted out on my roadie - I acknowledge everyone - everyday - everytime - I am kind of irritating that way - what was that movie with the guy from Australia - that is me !

It does about the same thing here as it did for him in NY.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I agree with jahwarrior. Different strikes for different folks. I consider my road bike nice, I am a commuter, I wear normal clothes at all times. I just love to ride and go fast. I usually give a nod with a smile, but not always. I get varied responses. However I do find it slightly comical when I pass guys with (my backpack on)all decked out with the most expensive lightweight equipment. Sorry I'm not a jerk, just proves its about how you ride not how much money you just dropped on your bike. Like I said I absolutely love riding and do not judge anybody who shares my feelings.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,562 Posts
I wave are say hi to everyopne I pass be they on a bike or walking.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Wild, you should promptly tell them that their eyes are definitely in need of checking!!

I will wave at most everyone...cyclist, cars, or folks in yards or walking. That is, if I ever saw any other cyclist or folks walking or in yards!! Where I ride, it is usually me, the wife, and a couple of cars and trucks. Almost lonely.

·
717 Posts
I wave to other cruisers when I am on my Harley. But I'll also admit to not waiving to punks on sport bikes, and people riding without helmets or reasonable safety gear.
I'm going through automotive wave withdrawal right now. Sold my 1972 Land Rover and my 2001 Miata SE last Saturday, alternated between the both of them as daily drivers and got and received many waves/thumbs up while driving them. . Now I have a Tacoma, most common truck out there...at first I was tempted to wave to other tacomas but realized how pathetic that would be.

As far as cyclists, I wave to the rider before I can even tell what kind of bike they are on.

·
Seasider
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm going through automotive wave withdrawal right now. Sold my 1972 Land Rover and my 2001 Miata SE last Saturday, alternated between the both of them as daily drivers and got and received many waves/thumbs up while driving them. . Now I have a Tacoma, most common truck out there...at first I was tempted to wave to other tacomas but realized how pathetic that would be.

As far as cyclists, I wave to the rider before I can even tell what kind of bike they are on.
I bet you miss your 'Landy'?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts