Add this to your touring essentials list

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by Industry_Hack, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

While I was putting together an article on bike/hike camping gear, this winter's storms were catching a lot of folks off guard, so it only makes sense to mention items that can do double duty as part of your camping gear as well as making it into your emergency essentials kit. UCO stormproof matches from Industrial Revolution is one such item. That's them on top in the photo below, being compared to your regular household wooden match.

At 2.75" long, they're far and away bigger than a regular match. But they're far better than any ordinary match. Not only will they still light if they get wet, they'll stay lit underwater for up to 15 seconds. It goes without saying that they're windproof as well. I had originally planned on shooting a short video showing them burning underwater, but my neighbor and his tropical fish put a quick end to that idea. Go figure. Still, we did test them in the kitchen sink, and they worked as promised.

If you're looking for camping or emergency gear, check them out along with other cool stuff at Industrialrev.com. A list of retailers can be found on their Where to Buy page as well.

Originally published on IndustryOutsider.com on 2/26/2011

Attached Files:

2. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Not a bad idea. Id also consider carrying a zippo lighter. Not the butane ones. Wind can get them easily. Zippos using lighter fluid can work in almost anything. If you are really off the beaten path, never go anywhere without two or three ways to start a fire, at least 2 flashlights and 2 cutting tools.

3. Industry_Hack

I never had much luck with the Zippo. It either leaked in my pocket (that fuel burns skin) or dried out due to disuse, because I'm not a smoker. Great for fireworks though.

4. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Rat Biker

Thanks for the info hack I actually plan to carry stuff like a Ferro rod with me all the time when I go riding for my essentials kit. I am planning to use my bike for commuting and camping so anything like this will be good for me

5. Industry_Hack

Glad you found it useful. Stick around, I have plenty more commuting and camping reviews coming up. We're going to be doing a lot of hike/bike outings up in the mountains this year, testing out all sorts of gear.

6. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Rat Biker

I plan on getting out to do some camping by bike myself this year just working on getting my kit together and my bike back in shape again. Look forward to whats ahead from ya Hack

7. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I carry a lighter everywhere ( I work with fire, or am about to again), but I'll look into adding those to my road kit.

8. froze

froze Banned

I carry waterproof matches in a water tight small round plastic container that has a striking surface on the bottom. Then I also carry a Doan's magnesium bar that all I need to do is scrape it with a knife to get some magnesium shavings about the size of a quarter, then strike the knife on the other side where a flint is to ignite the shavings and some tinder. You can also get tinder from your dryer lint and carry it with you along with cotton balls. Just keep the tinder in a plastic zip lock bag to prevent moisture from getting to it.

9. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

this is great stuff... but always have a beer in your sleeping bag, this will make the ride seem shorter and super rewarding once done...

10. Industry_Hack

I like the way you think. :thumbsup:

11. froze

froze Banned

Do you light the beer? With that comment I've gotta hop to bed!

12. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

nope... use the matches and light a fire and then kick back and enjoy the hopefully still cold hoegaarden or fat tire. ;)
    i am not old enough to buy in this country and still know better than wondering what to do with good beer..:D
    "Things look different from the seat of a bike carrying a sleeping bag with a cold beer tucked inside." ~Jim Malusa