adding a third sprocket

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by tesnusxenos, Jan 4, 2010.

1. tesnusxenos

tesnusxenos New Member

so, I ride an old schwinn paramount it has a 48-36 in the front people are always smokeing me on the down hill. I want to put in a triple so I can ride the hammerfest at Ft.Davis. I live in the boonies and will do it my self. What do I need to buy?

2. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Can't you just get a 50 or 52 larger ring and bolt it on? No need for 3 rings. Your front changer might not handle 3 rings as it is. Might choke on a larger 52 tooth also. I'd go with a larger ring, plug it in, and see how the changer handles it. Almost certainly you'll have to move it up the seat tube a bit. Unless it's fastened with braze on connections. Then you're screwed.

3. tesnusxenos

tesnusxenos New Member

I originally was going to do that but the Hammerfest has a really really steep climb at the end of the first day so I figured if I was going to change something I might as well do them both at the same time....I figure I will have to change out the deraileur and the shifter as well.

4. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

If it's that steep I'd get off and run the pig up the worst of it.

5. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

on the flip-side, how hard is it to install a 2 ring on a triple setup? Do I have to get a new FD? (I ride 105's)