Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a Trek Navigator 2.0. 1st experience with front fork shock, my 1991 Mountain bike was not so equipped. My question is: I know they are adjustable, why does one need to, and what is the procedure. I know that the adjustment knob is on the right fork top and it has + and - markings, but the owners manual is not clear on what to do there for what reason. I appreciate any insight you may have

·
No longer a newb!
177 Posts
It makes the fork stiffer or softer according to your preference.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I hope someone answers. I have SR Suntour CR880 AL with no + - indicators that I can see. I'm the second owner with no owners manual.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Sounds like that's your preload, which basically sets the ride height (initial sag) and nothing more. Depending on the rider's weight, it may not do much at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the heads up. I appreciate the input. I still am not sure what this is all about, though.

I am a newbie, my last bike is an old school mountain bike, I am completely illeterate when it comes to modern bikes and terms. I guess I need some schooling.
If I turn the adjustmant knob on the right fork to plus side does that make the Preload ride hgt higher, how many turns, where is the stop point. there aren't any clicks or detente points when turning to indicate where one is at, etc.
the owners manual assumes that everyone is bike savvy and offers no explanation

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Your fork probably offers about 70mm of travel, which is the up and down movement. When you sit on your bike, the front suspension should sag a bit, using up some of that travel. Ideally, you only want it to sag about 20-25%. (Someone may correct me and try to throw out the exact percentage, but with a short travel fork, you're lucky to get within 3.5mm of the ideal.) That adjustment knob should allow you to set the preload for optimum performance. Keep in mind that your fork is designed for a smoother ride, not for soaking up big hits.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts