Adusting chain tension/eccentric BB

Discussion in 'Fixed & Singlespeed' started by svenofthenorth, Aug 31, 2009.

1. svenofthenorth

svenofthenorth Junior Member

Picked up a Felt 9Solo earlier this summer. I have been out a few times, mostly on easier trails. I am seriously thinking of racing it but definitely need to change the gearing. It is currently a 32/19. I am thinking of 32/16. Or am I better of changing chainring and rear gear? And how do I adjust the eccentric bottom bracket. I see the openings for the hex wrench and the pin spanners. Do I need to take of the crank to adjust the BB? That would seem to defeat the purpose of having the chainring on to keep the chain tight. Any help would be really appreciated.

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Are there two pinch bolts on the underside of the bottom bracket? If so, you loosen them, and then use a pin spanner to adjust the tension. You shouldn't need to remove the crank.

Photos would help. :)

3. svenofthenorth

svenofthenorth Junior Member

Yep, you're right. Had to stop at the local bike shop and their answer was identical. Now I just need to dig up that old pin spanner and get some new gears. Thanks very much for the help.

4. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Any time. I've had to adjust the one on my tandem in the middle of nowhere, with a rock and a screwdriver.

You should have a much easier time.