Advantages of clipless pedals

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by Squishee, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Squishee

Squishee Guest

Why use clipless?
    if Most People fall at least once when using clipless, why use them at all?

I've heard the following:
    Better Power transfer
    Better more consistent knee alignment == less knee pain
    More confidence on bike with a solid connection to the pedal
    To #1 I ask, how much time/power do you lose picking yourself up?
    To #2, my first clipless fall resulted in landing on my knee. Now it aches all the time.
    To #3, I'm constantly worrying that I'll need to stop suddenly and not get clipped out in time. So much for confidence.

I'm still using clipless, but I can't explain why to any of my non-clipless friends like I used to.

What are your reasons?

2. stdu007

stdu007 New Member

for me,i like the power transfer to the pedal and i feel more grounded to my bike ... btw i never fall in 5 years with my clipless pedal (shimano pd-m770) ... ;)

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Clipless pedals allow a much smoother stroke. Once you learn to spin with clipless, rather than just pushing the pedals down, you can apply power throughout a broader range of motion.

If you rode flats and fell, your knee would probably still hurt the same. If you're still riding clipless and have knee pain, get a proper fit/adjust, then see a doctor. If you're no longer riding clipless but still have knee pain, get a proper fit/adjust, then see a doctor.

Practice. Then practice some more. What's the worst that can happen?

4. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

For me, it's mostly about control. Power transfer is a distant second. I find it much easier to conquer technical singletrack while clipped in. Sure, there is a somewhat painful learning curve. Good things don't come cheap!

5. Industry_Hack

This is the road forum, but they do help with MTB riding as well. Especially in some of the low speed, technical stuff.

6. hophead

Hmmmm, so it is. I've got eggbeaters on my road bike too.;)

Roadies hate me.:D

7. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Not all of us, Hop!

8. hophead

I dunno. I also ride with a camelbak, helmet with a visor, and occasionally even (gasp) baggy shorts.:eek:

9. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

because the shoes compensate for me never getting moon boots when I was a kid.:D

a 180 lb person raising 5.5 feet would expend 1341.12 Joules... but of course, that's overkill because you're not raising the entire mass the full 5.5 feet.

Hope this helps :p

10. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

I broke down and bought a pair of nice Shimano shoes and some peddles this past winter and I am unconvinced they are all that great. I will qualify that by saying after a summer with them I may speak differently. I think if you do race then go for it. If you don't race and you just love to ride then clips and straps or nothing at all is fine. Besides, once you get clippless peddles you elevate yourself above your peddle using friends on the snob caste scale and you are no longer allowed to associate with them. LOL!

Here's a good read on the subject:

Rivendell Bicycle Works: The Shoes Ruse

11. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

This has to be one of the weakest arguments I've ever heard against something. If you are afraid to fall, don't ride a bike because "riding a bike" is responsible for more bicycle related falls than clipless pedals are.

Most of us fell a few times while learning and no longer fall. I learned to ride clipless pedals when I was about 12y/o and yes, I fell many times but now (after over a decade of riding them) they are like second nature to me and don't cause me to fall or 'pick my self up'.

As far as I know, none of the posters here are orthopedic doctors. All falls as a result of learning to ride clipless do not result in serious knee injury. In fact, most clipless falls hurt nothing more than a riders pride. If you did sustain a serious injury you need to see a Dr. about it not a bike forum.

Have you ever driven a manual transmission car? Weren't you worried that in a panic stop situation you'd forget to push the clutch in? Much like driving stick, as you get more comfortable riding clipless you have to think less and less about what you are doing. I would say that for me riding clipless is easier than riding platform pedals (my feet slip off platforms when I try to pedal all the way around).

Personally, I like the super fashionable shoes.

[​IMG]

12. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

I'm clip-less on road and touring. I have walk around shoes on the touring bike.

City bike is egg betters. (didn't I use to buy "Egg Betters" in the grocery store?)

""Besides, once you get clippless peddles you elevate yourself above your peddle using friends on the snob caste scale and you are no longer allowed to associate with them. LOL!""

I don't talk to anyone anyway, I am Clip-Less and, and I have a iPod. (nose in the air)

13. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

Ryan, I still fall over, I forget or can't get my foot lose and over I go. I have also taken my left foot out then fall to the right. (look like a fool "OLD FOOL")

Maybe I should get "Training Wheels" with my clips

I carry a first aid kit. I still have tooth marks in my right leg and guess I always will.
    (I told that story here a few years ago)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  14. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

My only other beef with clipless is they are gawd awful ugly. The only way you could make them uglier is by fitting cleats on bowling shoes.

15. Industry_Hack

[​IMG]

16. baj32161

baj32161 American Expatriate Tavern Member

As long as you're riding, it's all good with me.

Cheers,

Brian J.

17. baj32161

But you're still riding clipless. I have taken a couple of falls as well and I will not ride any other way.

18. baj32161

Good read there, ad quite convincing. I, however, will keep my clipless pedals. I never felt comfortable on plain platform pedals due to foot slippage (I am a diabetic with major foot issues) and I have always had a devil of a time getting going with toe clips and straps, often swerving badly when trying to get into them from a full stop. I have no such issues with my clipless pedals as I am able to slip right into them.

Cheers,

Brian J.

19. jagonz456

jagonz456 New Member

40 miles and under

If you don't want to wear clipless pedals you don't have too. If you ride less that 40 miles you don't need to clip or wear bike pants or any other gear. When i started riding i didn't like clipless or wearing tight Lycra pants but trust me after 5 hrs on a saddle I ran to the bike shop to buy pants. I never had a need for two water bottles until i finished my first century not cool to run out of water in the middle of nowhere. The more you ride the more gear you are going to need. If you continue to grow as a rider you will need to add clipless pedals to get the most out of your pedal stroke and to make sure your feet don't slip off a pedal on mile 78 in your first century ride. Now if you just plan to ride 10 miles around town you can ride in sandals and thats ok.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  20. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

I just read back over what I wrote and I realized it comes across as rude. I do not mean to be rude or belittle the opinions of others.

I think people should ride whatever kind of pedals they feel most comfortable riding. For me that is SPD clipless pedals but for you it may be different. We all have different budgets, different ability levels, and different styles of riding and what works perfectly for one person may be completely wrong for another.

I hope all cyclists have an opportunity to at least try clipless pedals, toe clips and straps, and platforms at least a few times during their cycling lifetime so they can make an informed choice on what best suits them but I do not believe any one style is "the right one" for everyone.