Advice for a cycling beginner

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by mjwassmer, Jan 13, 2010.

1. mjwassmer

mjwassmer Guest

Hey guys, great forum. Had a quick question, would be great if you could help me out. I'm looking to purchase a bike for myself, a beginner. I rode when I was younger (I'm now 21), looking to get back into it.

Is this a good deal? Can anyone tell me more about this type of bicycle? I googled it but could find very little.

Men's Kensington Elite Hybrid Bicycle

He said he would give it to me for $80. Thanks guys.

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

If that's all your budget will allow, then it's OK. But you might do better to find something a bit more modern. What kind of riding do you plan on doing?

3. mjwassmer

mjwassmer Guest

I plan on riding around town. If I were to buy new and didn't want to spend a ton of money (what if I don't take to it?), do you have any suggestions for modestly priced but decent bikes?

4. Industry_Hack

You can get a reliable, bike-shop quality Giant for less than $300 right now. Avoid Xmart bikes. For a little more money, you should be getting a proper assembly, some free maintenance, and a bike that will last and hold its value, should you decide to sell it in the first year or so.

5. mjwassmer

mjwassmer Guest

Thanks for your help. So you'd recommend finding a bike shop and asking about their Giants? Or is there a preferred retailer?

6. Industry_Hack

Giant, Trek, Felt, Specialized - they will all have some decent entry level bikes. But since Giant is the largest manufacturer, I've found that they seem to offer the best value. Any good bike shop should be able to help you assess your needs and find a bike within your budget.

7. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

I would buy any complete bike that functioned for 80 dollars. That's not enough money to get excited about. You'll always have a working bike and can get right back to saving for a better one without feeling you've blown a real nest egg. I would not spend 3-400 hundred on a low-end new machine when for a few hundred more you can get a much better bike. (600)

Get the cheap ride for little cash, work on it, learn on it, buy a better one later on when you have a better feel for what you really want and are able to spend real money.

And always save the early junker for skoots around town.

I'm 21 too, mjwassmer.

8. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

I think buying used is fine but a bike shop gives a new rider something John Q. Craig'sList can't and that is proper fit and proper purpose. I got my first real adult bike at a shop and bought a hybrid/commuter that I still ride and love nearly 20 years later.

I would suggest a nice reasonable bike with comfortable, upright sitting position. If it feels comfortable you will ride more. If it is uncomfortable and causes pain then you won't ride as much. I would avoid mountain bikes as they have a special purpose.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  9. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

That Craigslist bike is priced about what it was NEW, and the seller wants that for it now? It had BETTER be "like new"!

The Haro Flightline is another 'budget' bike that will treat you well; they're a little tougher to find sometimes, but are good bikes.

Giant is a real mainstay -- hard to go wrong.

10. Sickmont

Sickmont Member

You can also go to the bike shops and see what they've got for trade-ins/used bikes also if you wanna save some cash and get a decent ride.

11. mjwassmer

mjwassmer Guest

Didn't pull the trigger on the first one. Take a look at this one, though. It's a Giant.

Men's Giant Nutra Hybrid

I'm 5'9 3/4s, so I think the sizing will be okay. What do you guys think?

12. mjwassmer

mjwassmer Guest

Also, I talked him down to $100.

13. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

22" frame is too big for you.

18" or 19" would treat you better.

14. mjwassmer

mjwassmer Guest

Oh wow, really? Did not know that. Guess this one's a no-go

15. mjwassmer

mjwassmer Guest

I went to a great bike shop today and got outfitted for this baby:

[​IMG]

It's a Specialized Hardrock. It's 19 inches, and fantastic. Went for an hour ride and had a blast. Thank you guys so much for your help.

16. Nigal

Awesome choice! Enjoy it. Now, for the toys to put on it...

17. mjwassmer

mjwassmer Guest

I guess that's my next question. Besides a helmet, what items are essential for a budding cyclist?

18. Nigal

First thing, a bell. Just something small. It great for when you come up on people walking and ya just want to let them know you're passing. A cycling computer is always cool too. You can get one at Walmart for $20 that will tell you speed, average speed, distance, ect. All the way up to bike GPS you can use for down/up loading rides to the internet, ect.

19. eaton

eaton New Member

Home: floor pump.
    Bike: extra tube, tire lever(s), mini pump, multi-tool, water bottle cage.

20. Nigal

Eaton is very right. How'd I forget stuff for flats? I have this cheap little kit that come with everything but the spare tube. This one is in a wallet but they have them now in a small case that fits in a water bottle cage. I carry mine in a wedge seat bag ($14), which is also a great thing to have for cell phone, ect.

Save on Tools and Pumps - Innovations Tire Repair & Inflation Wallet