Advice on a new hybrid or fitness bike

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Grenouille, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Grenouille

Grenouille Grenouille

I do mostly road riding, but this is New England so roads are often crap. 40-50 miles total on a weekend in season, want a bike to stretch it more. I'm thinking hybrid/"fitness" bike, i.e. a road bike with bit wider tires and upright handlebar, can't stand drop bars, and how shall I put it, I'm not 30 anymore.

I'm thinking of spending say $600. From the pointing and clicking/bike shop cruising I've done so far, some possibilities are: Giant Rapid 3/Seek 3; Trek FX 7.3; Cannondale Quick 5; Martin Larkspur; Scott Sportster P55; Janis Coda. (I've a couple great bike shops nearby to choose from).

Curious to hear, whatcha think re: choice of bike style, and any of the models/brands?

2. gatorguy

gatorguy New Member

My opinion is long riding with straight bars sucks. Even with ends my hands are uncomfortable after 30 miles or so. I much prefer drops.

Oh, and I'm a long way from 30 myself.

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

If you absolutely can't stand drops, then get a flat bar. Have you tried bullhorns? As far as bikes, there's not going to be any significant difference at any given price point, especially below $1,000. By that, I mean that a $600 bike from any manufacturer is not likely to offer much more or less than a competitor's bike. Go with what looks nice and suits you.

I like blue.

4. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

British Racing Green is faster. But light blue is still pretty quick.

5. gatorguy

gatorguy New Member

Racing green may be faster, but do you really want to give of the comfort of white on those long road rides?

6. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

This is a very good point. I've still got lots to learn.

7. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

Gee...
    I got a bike with no paint on it. (clear coat aluminum)
    NO WONDER I AM SO SLOW...

I knew I should have got that Fuji with 47 different colors on it.

8. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Nashbar had a 'trekking' bar that gave about eight hand positions, ran about $25 when I was looking at them.

I can do with a MTB riser for rides up to 50 miles, and I'm not afraid to run bar ends with risers, either. My upcoming SS will sport that look!

9. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I have a Cannondale Quick 6 that I got off of craigslist for $200 I have bin riding that around seams to be a pertty good bike for the money. I was at L L Bean the outher day thay had a flat bar hybrid that looked nice to me for around $600. If my Absolute 1.0 don't come in soon I might have to go back and look at it.

10. Grenouille

Grenouille Grenouille

1) hey Industry Hack, what are bullhorns?

2) I'm assuming even a slow hand-eye-coordination type like me can learn to use pedal clips enuf to avoid falling over at stop signs?

3) I was thinking fire engine red, however, wont that make me a magnet for speeding tickets?

11. Industry_Hack

12. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

If that's a push for bullhorns, I agree. I like them for most casual cruising.

13. gatorguy

gatorguy New Member

Yes but I think red is a nice compromise. Certainly not as fast as green, nor as comfortable as white, but faster than white and more comfortable than green. Kinda close to blue, but without all the brake problems. So you decide.

Word of caution though, the spokes on red bikes tend to loosen more often than just about anything but yellow bikes. Keep an eye on them and you'll be fine.

Of course these are just my personal opinions on the matter.

14. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

The red bike spoke loosening issue was traced back to left-handed threads on the spokes. Coriolis Effect in the northern hemisphere caused all kinds of problems. Australians on the other hand had no such issues. They, in fact, prefer red bikes for the spokes tend to tighten under use. This is all a matter of hard scientific fact.

15. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Some how I just knew that Hack would know about Bull :D horns

16. Industry_Hack

That's because I'm already on my 2nd set for this bike:

Attached Files:

17. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I'm a big fan of the bullhorn style bars. Personally for me it just fits my riding style.

18. Industry_Hack

I've added a cross lever for the front brake. I mention this only because you questioned the aero levers.

19. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I'm going to convert to that brake setup. At first I wasen't so sure it but after more riding it makes sense.

20. Industry_Hack

Just don't get DiaCompe levers, they seem pretty cheesy.