Advice on recumbents

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Phaedrus, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Phaedrus

Phaedrus bent

Greetings to all, I am cultivating an infatuation with general leisure cycling; I possess a burning desire to get Bent on a budget. After relocating back to Southern Indiana from Florida, where I did some trail riding, I rode my ten-speed daily, for fresh air and exercise. That was over ten years ago and since retiring last year I have once again been bitten by the cycling bug.
    Dear reader, I am in serious need of advice concerning recumbents. Being on a fixed budget I must make extremely frugal decisions concerning my choice of rides. I like to go fast from time to time, however I greatly appreciate comfort. I am leaning toward a LWB and $1200 to $1500 is about the upper limit of my initial purchase budget.
    My first question regards under or over steering and would greatly appreciate comments concerning the advantages / disadvantages of both.
    Next I wonder about the advantage of 26 x 26 inch verses 20 x 26 inch wheels. Thank you for indulging this old geek.

2. altozwei

altozwei New Member

Can't answer your questions as I ride a tadpole trike. However, things here have been a bit slow lately. You might consider also posting your inquiry at BentRider Online: 'BentRider Online Forums - Powered by vBulletin

It is a recumbent specific group with many active members and will likely give you more and faster replies.

3. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

I agree with Altozwei, you should do some research on Bentrideronline. Also, there is a recumbent database on Recumbents.com . Not only are LWBs not where the recumbent action is these days, there are very few LWB with USS. The only ones I can think of are Longbikes and Ryan, and neither one is going to be in your price range. The disadvantage of 20/26 is that you have two different size tires and tubes to worry about. The 20" probably rolls a *tiny* bit slower. Both handle fine.

At $1200, you're right in the ballpark for a RANS Stratus LE. Or a Bacchetta Belandre (very similar bikes.) Or something used.

4. Engyo

Engyo Bent Newbie - old rider

I bought a Rans V3 (08, steel, OSS, 26/26) used off craigslist for $900. Very happy with it so far. Depending on your location, a used 'bent might be a nice choice.

If you are anywhere near a 'bent shop, I recommend trying as many different types of 'bents as you can find........

Cycle Genius also makes some very nice LWB's. Their website also has a comparison page that may be helpful.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  5. Phaedrus

Phaedrus bent

Thanks

Thank you ever so much for all of your replies, I have found Bent Rider on line to be a very valuable tool. I am looking for a "Bent" dealer in or around SW IN and have started shopping on line for a used LWB bent.

6. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

The Louisville recumbent group lists Shellers as a recumbent dealer. They apparently have stores in Clarksville IN and in Louisville KY. You could also try contacting Bikeolounger's link here for possible leads on used 'bents.

7. Cptn_Jon

Cptn_Jon New Member

I have (that includes my wife) 3 Bents; 2 are SUN EZ 3 USX's which are trikes that sell for about $1000 each, my third bent is a recycled LWB. The build process was easy for me as also am retired. I contacted the local Vo-Tec (welding school) and inquired about them doing the work for me. They said they would love to. Bottom line is you could build a LWB 2 wheel recumbent for less than $500.
    Here is a link to my build. New WildKat Recumbent Bike Build
    Hope this helps. If you would like more info on my build e-mail me from my web page.
    I have made a couple of changes since the pictures were taken.

Attached Files:

8. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

Another budget possibility is to buy frame/seat/etc from AD Carson at Recycled Recumbents and build up your own TourEasy clone.

9. Phaedrus

Phaedrus bent

Thank you all for the posts. After extensive research I bought a Rans Stratus XP from Midwest Recumbents in Mascoutah, IL Midwest Recumbent Bicycles - Home in March of this year.
    They are great people to deal with, very patient and the XP far exceeded my greatest expectations.
    Phaedrus has gone biking O`-~O

Attached Files:

10. Engyo

Engyo Bent Newbie - old rider

11. Phaedrus

Phaedrus bent

Thanks

Thank you, I smile all the time now. . .

O`~~O gon bikin...