Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have an eBay auction to sell a frame. I had an inquiry asking if I could ship to Australia. I called UPS to get an estimate of the shipping charges. I estimated 8-10 lbs and a package size of 48x36x7". They told me this would cost $775! I nearly choked. Surely not. Does anyone know whether this sounds right and if so, know any other much cheaper options?

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
It's not feasible. I don't think USPS offers a surface option any more, and EMS is not cheap. Unless the frame is worth quite a bit of $$, shipping is a dealbreaker.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
$775? Dang. Never had to ship out of country, but if you contact a Parcel Company, the kind you find in strip malls, that contract out to the major carriers they can give you a better idea. I had to ship some stuff through a couple of states and they were pretty helpful.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it looks like the frame/fork is heading to Japan. Guy gave me my "buy it now" price and is paying the shipping. USPS for a 12.5 lb, 32x29.5x8.5" package is $73.50 for priority mail to Japan. Thanks for the help, guys!

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Well it looks like the frame/fork is heading to Japan. Guy gave me my "buy it now" price and is paying the shipping. USPS for a 12.5 lb, 32x29.5x8.5" package is $73.50 for priority mail to Japan. Thanks for the help, guys!
My math says you're in for a surprise at the post office, when they pull out that tape measure. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hope not. I entered these numbers online, and that's the rate quoted. I know I'm right at the length+girth limit, so there might be some arguing at the PO. I'll update tomorrow.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Can't wait. Remember, the worst part of any customer service job is the customers. Now remind them. If it proves to be a pain for you that is. Sorry, I had a rough night.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's all good guys. No arguing at all. Frame/fork's on its way to Japan and was actually $5 less than the internet quoted. :):thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, and the wheels I was selling on eBay went up almost $300 in the last 40 seconds of the auction today. Got money for new bike goodies now!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts