Advice on shipping a frame to Australia

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Xela, Jun 26, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I currently have an eBay auction to sell a frame. I had an inquiry asking if I could ship to Australia. I called UPS to get an estimate of the shipping charges. I estimated 8-10 lbs and a package size of 48x36x7". They told me this would cost $775! I nearly choked. Surely not. Does anyone know whether this sounds right and if so, know any other much cheaper options?

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

It's not feasible. I don't think USPS offers a surface option any more, and EMS is not cheap. Unless the frame is worth quite a bit of $$, shipping is a dealbreaker.

3. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

$775? Dang. Never had to ship out of country, but if you contact a Parcel Company, the kind you find in strip malls, that contract out to the major carriers they can give you a better idea. I had to ship some stuff through a couple of states and they were pretty helpful.

4. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I would look around for smaller carriers. Maybe the airlines offer a better deal?

5. Xela

Well it looks like the frame/fork is heading to Japan. Guy gave me my "buy it now" price and is paying the shipping. USPS for a 12.5 lb, 32x29.5x8.5" package is $73.50 for priority mail to Japan. Thanks for the help, guys!

6. Industry_Hack

My math says you're in for a surprise at the post office, when they pull out that tape measure. Sorry.

7. Xela

Hope not. I entered these numbers online, and that's the rate quoted. I know I'm right at the length+girth limit, so there might be some arguing at the PO. I'll update tomorrow.

8. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Can't wait. Remember, the worst part of any customer service job is the customers. Now remind them. If it proves to be a pain for you that is. Sorry, I had a rough night.

9. Xela

It's all good guys. No arguing at all. Frame/fork's on its way to Japan and was actually $5 less than the internet quoted. :):thumbsup:

10. Industry_Hack

Good job! I used to have to argue with them, due to my odd shaped, homemade boxes with custom frames inside.

11. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I'm glad it worked out. Under budget too? You are a lucky man.

12. Xela

Yep, and the wheels I was selling on eBay went up almost $300 in the last 40 seconds of the auction today. Got money for new bike goodies now!

13. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I'm not envious....