Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that is an advanced cyclist. Hard core big time. Also a single mom and no mountain bike. Though she has a road bike, but not one to go play on the trails with and I know she misses it.

Like to find a vintage type mountain bike that was quality back in the day, but we all know technology marches on. Though it may not be today's technology, I like for it to be something an advanced rider would enjoy.

I am going to find a project bike and I would prefer it not be something really that collectible. If I respray it to make it look nice and add a few personal touches, I don't want to worry about destroying a piece of history.

While I am doing it I am probably going to try to find another 20 incher or so for the little boy that I can paint up a lot like moms. The kid just started school so if its not 20 inch, he will be soon. That sort of leaves out a mountain bike but a BMX might be a possibility.

Ideas and thoughts on bikes that you think worth the time, and when done not be another Next.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
There are a plethora of good used mtn bikes out there. Rather than focus on a specific model or brand, I would check craig's list, local classified ads, bike club websites, etc. and see what's available in her size.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well some of the quality brands I know, but many I don't. On a deal like this I know its look at it and either buy or not. Not likely to be that much time for research. Diamond back I had heard of, but I don't want to take the time to redo it right only to find out I had given her a redone Walmart bike that falls apart the first time she pushes it. And this woman has the skills to push a bike hard.

·
Two skinny J's
21,196 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
True. As a friend of mine told me "My mom always told me everyone can do it once." His spouse, once is more than enough.:eek:

All kidding aside, I had a Curaca in the early 90's, and put over 50k on that bike without any component failure or problems. I absolutely thrashed that bike and it always was ready for more.
The grip foam started to break up and I had a tear in the saddle (Avenir). Other than that, bulletproof.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Well some of the quality brands I know, but many I don't. On a deal like this I know its look at it and either buy or not. Not likely to be that much time for research. Diamond back I had heard of, but I don't want to take the time to redo it right only to find out I had given her a redone Walmart bike that falls apart the first time she pushes it. And this woman has the skills to push a bike hard.
I hear ya. You definitely want to avoid box store brands like Magna, Next, Huffy, Pacific, etc. Most of that junk is easily discernible from quality brands. They will have no name components or low end Shimano stuff. Stamped steel chainrings and one piece cranks are the mark of a low end bike. Junk imitation mtn bikes are also very heavy and often will have a sticker on the top or down tube warning the rider not to take it off road. Almost all box store bike have threaded headsets. A threaded headset doesn't mean "junk" necessarily. Older quality mtn bike used them. Quality mtn bikes built in the last 10 years or so, will most likly have a threadless headsets.

I just ran through my local craig's list and these are the better brands that I saw:

Haro
Rocky Mountain
Jamis
Trek
Marin
Ironhorse
Bianchi
Gary Fisher
Specialized
Giant
Scott
Intense
GT
Kona
K2
Cannondale

If you run across a brand that your not sure of, just post it up here.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Rigid steel mountain bikes can be had for about $100 all day long. Why bother? Anything 20 years old is probably going to have a 1" fork that's shot. Unless you want to get her a fully rigid bike with bad brakes, I'd concentrate less on how old it is, and just look for something in the right size. Have you ridden a rigid bike with cantilever brakes over washboards?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not in the saddle Hack. lol Yet you are probably right. I do have the right size, assuming that she told me the truth when I was asking about a bike for a friend that was about her size. In fact it was just her size, and unless she reads this enough time will pass I think I can surprise her, assuming the right deal comes along.

Is she hot? Well I m a friend not her boyfriend. Wife takes a dim view of me dating. I probably am not the one to judge, but she is in April Lawyer's league or better when it comes to the looks department. I'd be out of my league if I were 25 years younger and 50 lbs lighter. If being able to pull of the little black dress wearing the pumps with cleats makes her hot, well you can make that call for yourself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts