Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This looks like a promising tool for measuring power for those of us that are not rich and or an elite athlete that needs exact readings.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRatYHlh54Y&feature=share[/ame]

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I just bought an Edge 500. I am seriously thinking about getting one of the PowerCal meters. It will take a while to save up the extra cash, but if I do, I'll report back. I need to find out of the things works with the Garmin, I think so, and if it will report heart rate and power. I don't see why not, but you never know.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Xela is a powermeter. I'd love to see the two of you on a classic Schwinn tandem.

Frick and Frack.
Funny. A lady that used to work here actually had an old-school looking, though I don't think it was that old, tandem. Don't think we didn't try it.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
As a matter of fact I scared a Sea Bee so bad, he jumped off the back of it! We were moving pretty good at the time. I don't think he liked not being able to steer.

Xela's power meter would always read 110%!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm almost positive it works with Garmin, but if you get it sooner than I please let me know your thoughts. I will do likewise if vice versa. Though I dont have anyone I ride with that has anything to compare it to so my review may not hold any value.:eek:

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
You know, I'd like it to grade my workouts. I'm not that concerned about total and utter accuracy. Maybe compare rides year to year. Please let us know if you get one.

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
I'm almost positive it works with Garmin, but if you get it sooner than I please let me know your thoughts. I will do likewise if vice versa. Though I dont have anyone I ride with that has anything to compare it to so my review may not hold any value.:eek:
Works with any ANT device. It won't work with my Edge 305 ( read a 305 for sale soon! :)). I'm 99% sure I'm gonna order the Joule 2.o and HR. I've done a lot of reading and found out yesterday my riding partner has been using it now for 2 months with his Garmin Edge 705....and he never bothered to mention it to me!
Not to bad of a deal
http://www.cycleops.com/en/products/cycling-computers/joule.html?page=shop.product_details&category_id=1&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=700

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
Do you have to buy powrmeter cranks with that, or does it work with the powercal, or does it do its own thing?
It is the Powercal and in my case I would need to buy the Joule 2.0 head unit. No cranks or hubs for this. I'm skeptical but all the comparisons I have seen show that it is as advertised "close: for what it is!

At the very least it would end up being an extremely powerful HRM. I just can't justify the cost of an actual SRM or Powertap. If I raced or something I could TRY and justify to myself or my CFO :D

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
I just bought an Edge 500. I am seriously thinking about getting one of the PowerCal meters. It will take a while to save up the extra cash, but if I do, I'll report back. I need to find out of the things works with the Garmin, I think so, and if it will report heart rate and power. I don't see why not, but you never know.
Did you realize in your case already having the Garmin 500 you would have a very minimal investment of 100 bux! How could you loose?

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Yeah, I just have to be a bit of a tightwad for a while. Maybe in a month or two I'll feel comfortable dropping some dough on bike stuff. If you get one, please let us know how you like it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts