After getting swore at twice...

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by HippieCommuter, Aug 26, 2009.

1. HippieCommuter

HippieCommuter Guest

I decided to brush up on my cycling etiquette! So any tips for inner-city commuting would be much appreciated!! Thanks!

Peace!

2. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I get yelled at constantly but I cycle right by the University of Texas so it could just be drunken frat boys hitting on me. I don't filter through traffic and I use appropriate hand signals. I see jerks just pointing then moving and it astonishes me. Even if your in the right your still dead or disabled, but I think people just like to yell at us. Adds anger to there otherwise meaning less existence. I might just yell at one of us on the ride home in order to better understand the yeller.

3. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

1. When you ride, do so in a way that makes drivers realize you know WTF you're doing on the road.
    2. Ride like they can't see you anyway......

4. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

Realize that they dont know the laws themselves so therefore most will have little respect for you. Always be on the lookout and realize your surroundings. Hand signals definetely help, as long as they are the appropriate ones :D

5. fatandslow

fatandslow New Member

Colorado just passed a law requiring autos to leave at least 3 feet of space between themselves and bicyclists. It seems not everyone heard about it......

6. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Always use appropriate hand signals and try to stay on the shoulder when safe so vehicles can pass you (safely). I believe if you try to be respectful to the drivers, most drivers will show a mutual respect (but some are a$$'s no matter what). Best thing you can do; help educate your non-riding friends how to share the road with a bike. Once the knowledge spreads, we can all share the road safely. Education is whats needed, on everyones part.

7. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

It seems that the problem is not with the other drivers but it is our value as bikers. My wife always jokes when we pass a biker that she is "gonna get them with the door!" The other day we were headed into town and I see a jogger ahead. My wife is driving so I ask if she wants me to get them with the door. She declines. I complained that she always get to go after the bikers but won't let me get a jogger. Her response.

"Bikers are worth more points."

See that is the problem, we are valuable commodities on the road. In the scheme of things the biker is the valuable one. Those drivers who are scared will take their aggression out on those of us worth something.

What we need to do is educate the regular people. We need to get them to believe bikers are worthless and have no value, that all of their anger and road rage should be directed elsewhere. Maybe direct their anger to Hummer drivers, or prius drivers, or whoever else we can. We need them to believe the biker will actually cost them points instead of earning them points.

Now we bikers know it is all BS, we are super valuable and what everyone wants to be but for our safety we need to fool them. So get out there and start teaching everyone that bikers are no longer a valuable target we are the only target that will cost points. Soon they will ignore us to the point we won't even know they are there. All will be good and we will be happy.

8. fatandslow

fatandslow New Member

Staying on the shoulder where I ride only causes me flat tires from the shards of glass left over from the cagers pitching their liquor bottles at the cyclists they pass and seemingly encourages them to get ever closer. If I aggressively stay in the right wheeltrack of the right lane, they give me a wider berth. Pisses some of them off, but I'd rather have them angry than apologizing to me from above while waiting for the ambulance.

9. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

What did you do that they yelled at you before?

Cutting between cars and just in general cutting through traffic and slowing traffic seems to be the biggest complaint I've seen.

10. fatandslow

fatandslow New Member

Just as an example, I was yelled at (don't know what he said, there are benefits to being old and hard of hearing) and flipped off for being in the right lane stopped at a red light when the car that came up behind me wanted to turn right.

11. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Funny you say that because when we were in LA being drove from the train station to the rental car place we were behind a biker going straight, light turns green, biker is slow to go and the person behind us starts honking. The biker turns around and starts yelling at us and giving us the finger thinking it was us.

12. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Thats nuts but I see that all the time. I wa sitting outside a restraunt once on guadalupe and a biker actually punched the window of the car that had just passed him. The driver was stuck at the light and couldn't move, but the cyclist just hauled off. I think these are the only things people remember. When were not being obnoxios people tend not to notice us.

13. fatandslow

fatandslow New Member

Maybe that's the key, being an a**hole gets you noticed and thereby keeps one from being a statistic.;)

14. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

I think this year is probably the first that I haven't been sworn at more than twice (so far). Been buzzed a couple times, but no swearing.

In the past, though, it's been all over the map -- had some thug threaten to run me over, while the gf he was leaning across in front of was telling him to 'go on, just go on'. Also had a senior cop in his own truck tell me to get on the sidewalk in the dead of winter (in a business district -- illegal here, and with 2-foot drifts of packed/plowed snow blocking said sidewalk). Threatened to take me to jail for backtalking him when I insisted I had the same right to the road as him. The police chief got a not-so-nice letter behind that.....

15. elementfiftyfour

elementfiftyfour New Member

I have been riding my bike to and from work, about 8 mile round trip, for years now and can't recall ever being yelled at or molested in any way.

I can see how this could be an issue for some riders though. Even when i'm driving i get a bit annoyed at riders that choose to ride their bikes down narrow or busy streets and expect that they should have the entire right to the road. I personally make it a point to stick to the wider and less traveled streets just to avoid traffic because in the end it doesn't matter if you have the right of way or if you were obaying all the biking rules. You will never win a battle with a 3000 lb hunk of steel.

16. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

I try to get to the left so cars can turn right beside me.

17. rodan

rodan rodan

We have a 3ft law here in Florida too. Just another rule for drivers to ignore...

Whenever we're on a group ride and a driver gets upset at us we try to blow it off and just assume they're having a bad day. It really doesn't do any good for us to get upset too. That's when we make mistakes.

The best advice I can give is to always signal your intentions as best you can and cycle defensively. Just common sense really...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  18. HippieCommuter

HippieCommuter Guest

Yeah agreed, many streets i ride have quite the glass pile up considering im a city rider but yeah

19. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

I must ride in a different world. I ride all over Nor California and haven't been yelled at once, although I mostly ride on lonely mountain roads, even in the more heavily populated areas, it seems like the vehicles are very respectful. The only things I've heard were words of encouragement. But like fatandslow, I guess it helps to be old and heard of hearing, maybe the grey hair, at least what is left of it, helps too, I don't know.

DrB

20. HippieCommuter

HippieCommuter Guest

wow! thats nice, well Portland is different it is full of interesting people, bikers alike and people that hate on bikers. But HEY! i respect an older wise rider like yourself, gives me a lot to learn from.