Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering going up to ride in the THE AIR FORCE CYCLING CLASSIC CRYSTAL CUP SUNDAY, JUNE 12TH

Annual Crystal Ride Challenge. Participants can ride up to 3 ½ hours on the car-free, 12.5km course attempting to ride as many as 8 laps in the allotted time.

I like the way they call it non-competitive :D I don't think you can get a group of cyclist together and not be competitive! Tell me that will stay non-competitive - Not!

See rule Rule #70 / The purpose of competing is to win.
End of. Any reference to not achieving this should be referred immediately to Rule #5.11

Rule #5 / Harden The **** Up. 2,14,1

Rule #11 / Family does not come first. The bike does.
Sean Kelly, being interviewed after the ’84 Amstel Gold Race, spots his wife leaning against his Citroën AX. He interrupts the interview to tell her to get off the paintwork, to which she shrugs, “In your life the car comes first, then the bike, then me.” Instinctively, he snaps back, “You got the order wrong. The bike comes first.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Looks fun. The fact that they have to point out that it's non-competitive tells you everything you need to know.

·
Two skinny J's
21,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Two skinny J's
21,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Two skinny J's
21,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Two skinny J's
21,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well here it is! Ride2Recovery is done and next weekend we ride the Air Force Crystal City . I CAN NOT WAIT! 6 laps in less than 3.5 hours. This means 15km*6(laps)=55.8 miles in under 3.5 hours means we only have to ride 15.9 mph avg for gold :) Of course registration is closed and full and several hundred or thousand riders are all going to be trying to jam into those same turns at the same time. So now that 15.9 mph avg become crucial not to crash or get involved in stupid stuff. It should be a BLAST!

I'm really hopeful the the "Tour de Yellow Bracelet" makes it in the mail by then. That would be a pretty special ride to take it on!

Attachments

·
Two skinny J's
21,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Rola for bumping the thread several times, but I never got around to signing up. Kicking myself now. :mad:

Enjoy the ride!
You should have done it!! It would have been pretty cool! Wonder if if Stroks got registered ???

·
Two skinny J's
21,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In yesterdays newsletter, WoooHoo Miss America in da house :D

Expo at 2012 Air Force Cycling Classic Largest To Date, and will include appearance by Miss America

(Arlington, VA) - As the 15th annual Air Force Cycling Classic proudly brought to you by The Boeing Company has grown, so has the events Expo, held concurrently with the pro/am races. Heidi Mack, the reigning Miss American, will be on hand from 10am-2pm at the Nutrilite booth. This years expo will have nearly 20 booths, ranging from USAF Recruitment to 5-Hour Energy, with more expected.

"Our first expo in 1999 had a couple sponsors and a traveling bike shop, now we have national distributors and brands wanting to tap into the active community that our event attracts." Said Robert Laybourn, President, Arlington Sports. "Our exhibitors will be showcasing everything from other area cycling events to healthy sports food and nutrition."

The weekend's events begin on Saturday, June 9, with the Air Force Cycling Classic's Clarendon Cup. Amateur racers will participate in the first race and the Men's Pro race, now in its15th year, startsat noon. On Sunday, June 10, the pros will again be featured in the Air Force Cycling Classic Crystal Cup, which will follow the non-competitive Air Force Cycling Challenge Crystal Ride. Women's and amateur races will follow. Saturday and Sunday's races will again be part of the prestigious USA Cycling's National Criterium Calendar. Both days Expo will be near the start/finish lines.

Participants in the Air Force Cycling Classic Crystal Ride will again be able to earn a gold medal by completing six laps in less than 3 ½ hours. A silver medal is earned by riding four laps, and a bronze for two laps in that timeframe. Registration for the Crystal Ride, the Corporate Challenge and the Kids Races are now open through the events website: www.AirForceCyclingClassic.com.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
In yesterdays newsletter, WoooHoo Miss America in da house :D

Expo at 2012 Air Force Cycling Classic Largest To Date, and will include appearance by Miss America

(Arlington, VA) - As the 15th annual Air Force Cycling Classic proudly brought to you by The Boeing Company has grown, so has the events Expo, held concurrently with the pro/am races. Heidi Mack, the reigning Miss American, will be on hand from 10am-2pm at the Nutrilite booth. This years expo will have nearly 20 booths, ranging from USAF Recruitment to 5-Hour Energy, with more expected.

"Our first expo in 1999 had a couple sponsors and a traveling bike shop, now we have national distributors and brands wanting to tap into the active community that our event attracts." Said Robert Laybourn, President, Arlington Sports. "Our exhibitors will be showcasing everything from other area cycling events to healthy sports food and nutrition."

The weekend's events begin on Saturday, June 9, with the Air Force Cycling Classic's Clarendon Cup. Amateur racers will participate in the first race and the Men's Pro race, now in its15th year, startsat noon. On Sunday, June 10, the pros will again be featured in the Air Force Cycling Classic Crystal Cup, which will follow the non-competitive Air Force Cycling Challenge Crystal Ride. Women's and amateur races will follow. Saturday and Sunday's races will again be part of the prestigious USA Cycling's National Criterium Calendar. Both days Expo will be near the start/finish lines.

Participants in the Air Force Cycling Classic Crystal Ride will again be able to earn a gold medal by completing six laps in less than 3 ½ hours. A silver medal is earned by riding four laps, and a bronze for two laps in that timeframe. Registration for the Crystal Ride, the Corporate Challenge and the Kids Races are now open through the events website: www.AirForceCyclingClassic.com.
What kind of speed will you need to average to get gold Rola?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
What kind of speed will you need to average to get gold Rola?
Hazy, I think I saw where it's a 15km circuit (~9.3miles) so 6 laps would be around 56 miles. Unless it's a hard course Rola should be able nail a gold pretty easy based on his previous rides.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Ok , thanks Pool!! :). Just to clarify that I'm not stupid Just blind, I didn't see the distance of the laps! Lol!!!

·
Two skinny J's
21,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, what a ride. I can't wait to do this again next year! Pleased with the results and got the gold with 40 minutes to spare :D

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Wow, what a ride. I can't wait to do this again next year! Pleased with the results and got the gold with 40 minutes to spare :D

Showoff!!!:rolleyes:

·
Two skinny J's
21,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Showoff!!!:rolleyes:
Lol, I doubt that :) At mile 48 I stood up out of the sadle to make a pass and BAM, right Quad, left hammie seized ... I thought I was gonna cry. Made a quick decision to back off and spin through it and thankfully it worked fairly quickly! It was a pretty flat ride but it wasn't a cake walk either.

·
Two skinny J's
21,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Fairly consistent lap times, from the official timing chip. Andy and I were pretty dang close!

First no. is a bib #, mine was 394, metal won, total no of laps -6 ,total time, followed by each lap time and total time at each lap pass- make sense ?

Lap 3 was a bit slower as we stopped at the Air Force memorial to re-fill water bottles

394 Jeff Johnson Gold 6 2:53:38 1: 27:21 27:21 2: 26:23 53:44 3: 32:28 1:26:11 4: 27:41 1:53:51 5: 28:47 2:22:37 6: 31:02 2:53:38

368 Andrew Smith Gold 6 2:53:40 1: 27:22 27:22 2: 26:23 53:45 3: 32:28 1:26:12 4: 27:42 1:53:54 5: 28:46 2:22:39 6: 31:02 2:53:40

1 - 18 of 18 Posts