Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im a little older than I would like to be
People tell me I dont look 60 years old but I feel about 90
Anyway my left leg has had 2 screws it it 22 years ago so on theft side of the bike I decided to use the standard length pedal crank.
And on the chainside I got the crank and chainring off a 24inch wheeled bike thats half an inch shorter :thumbsup:
Well why didnt I think of it before less stress on my left leg and it suits me.
Im starting to think that the bike has got the wrong size bearings on steering stem could that be possible???
Anyway I was going to take the front sprung forks off but I havent got any rigid forks with the length of stem

·
Registered
350 Posts
Standard theory holds that if one shin is shorter than the other, you should build up your shoe's sole on that side. If one thigh bone is shorter, you should use a shorter crank on that side. Cranks can be had in various lengths, from 145 to 180 and more, although by far the most common sizes are 170, 172.5, and 175mm.

Why do you think the bearings are the wrong size in your steerer? It sounds unlikely.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im trying to covince myself that the narrow area 3/4 of an inch from the top of the stem were the thread has worn thin is not affecting my ability to tighten the bearing further
pre thrashed bikes come with problems
I might find a longer bearing cup in another frame that may cure the problem.

·
Registered
350 Posts
If the bearings or the fork aren't original to the bike, it's possible that the stack height of the headset is too much, which would prevent you from tightening the top nut (in a threaded headset.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts