Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But I'm in the process of switching it up a bit and gonna go the Cytomax route. Why you might ask yourself, simply I need/want more than hydration and some of the fastest hardest riding guys I know swear by it.

Cytomax® Performance Drink is made for a different brand of athlete. Its blend of complex carbohydrates and sugars work to sustain energy, so you can train harder, build stamina, and achieve superior results - Proven Results!

Cytomax Sports Performance Drink Stick Packs

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I mix Gatorade and Cytomax. Mostly because Gatorade is cheaper. I assume the Cytomax has better stuff in it, maltodextriin vs. sucrose. Maybe someone who knows can comment on that. Cytomax is harder to dissolve in water. I find by mixing the powdered ingredients before adding water, there is less clumping that with Cytomax alone.

The result is a mix that is better formulation than Gatorade and less expensive than Cytomax and easier to dissolve. I've also used Accelerade, again mixed with the cheaper stuff. Accelerade contains some protein which maybe beneficial. Recoverite is another which has whey protein in the mix, (perhaps in greater proportion than Accelerade?) designed to be consumed after exercise.

I believe the main benefit of a sports drink is the flavoring which if it tastes good will entice you to drink more that you would if you had only plain water, so get one that tastes good. Gatorade is too sweet. If you mix it half strength, it will taste better, and last longer. I generally dilute all of these products (add more water than recommended).

·
Two skinny J's
21,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mix Gatorade and Cytomax. Mostly because Gatorade is cheaper. I assume the Cytomax has better stuff in it, maltodextriin vs. sucrose. Maybe someone who knows can comment on that. Cytomax is harder to dissolve in water. I find by mixing the powdered ingredients before adding water, there is less clumping that with Cytomax alone.

The result is a mix that is better formulation than Gatorade and less expensive than Cytomax and easier to dissolve. I've also used Accelerade, again mixed with the cheaper stuff. Accelerade contains some protein which maybe beneficial. Recoverite is another which has whey protein in the mix, (perhaps in greater proportion than Accelerade?) designed to be consumed after exercise.

I believe the main benefit of a sports drink is the flavoring which if it tastes good will entice you to drink more that you would if you had only plain water, so get one that tastes good. Gatorade is too sweet. If you mix it half strength, it will taste better, and last longer. I generally dilute all of these products (add more water than recommended).
I agree, it is almost sickeningly sweet and cut it as well. I'll have to keep those other ideas in mind as well. I've been leery of Cytro in the past because of it's reputation for being "clumpy" but I need to move on.

Xela is going to be testing some hydration stuff soon, but he doesn't know it yet.
Surprises are always nice! Does that include water bottle testing???

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
If clumping is your main concern, mixing in some powdered Gatorade seems to prevent a lot of that. :)

I put the powder mix with just enough water make a thin slurry in a quart bottle. I hydrate before leaving the house, then add water to the Gatorade/Cytomax slurry a couple hours later. That way I carry less weight. When I'm ready to add water, the clumps are all gone, everything gets completely dissolved after a few hours in my backpack, you can see through it clearly.

This is for low intensity riding, on and off the bike. You may need to drink more frequently, but some variation of this idea, to carry concentrated drink mix in an otherwise empty bottle might work for you (depending on where available water can be found on your route and how often you want to stop to fill bottles).

I haven't used Heed tablets, but they are probably one of the easiest ways to turn your water to something a little bit better. :)

·
Two skinny J's
21,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Picked a few Tangy Orange and Pomegranate Berry singles today to try before I buy any large quantities. At .99 per it will be no great loss if it turns out to be the wrong mix for me.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I like Cytomax. Been using the Citrus flavor for about a year. Never really noticed any issue with mixing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have to agree, the strong point of Gatorade is that it allows you to rehydrate while staying on the cheap side.

Cytomax is great and a really great companion for your needs with rehydration. I will try this one as well though I have always stayed with Gatorade but looking to jump now.

What I like about the different sports drinks we have is that they have become really tasty and good at that!

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
We had a. Nutritionist speak at our place on Sat, and he said if you dilute Gatorade it isn't that bad for you. The sugar content and food dye is what makes things tricky.

He did like nuun and Hammer nutrition HEED. He was saying if the first ingredient isn't maltodextrin, keep looking for something until you find that.

He also said you can go to homemade beer places and buy maltodextrin to put in your bottles.

·
Two skinny J's
21,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We had a. Nutritionist speak at our place on Sat, and he said if you dilute Gatorade it isn't that bad for you. The sugar content and food dye is what makes things tricky.

He did like nuun and Hammer nutrition HEED. He was saying if the first ingredient isn't maltodextrin, keep looking for something until you find that.

He also said you can go to homemade beer places and buy maltodextrin to put in your bottles.
Maltodextrin is the first thing listed on the packages of Cyto! Good to know.

·
Two skinny J's
21,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Two skinny J's
21,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mixed up my first water bottle full of Pomegranate Berry Cytomax for a little MTB ride in the morning. No clumping, taste was ok to somewhat bland. I kinda worried it would be to sweet but this was not the case. We'll see during the ride how it does. Funny I tend not to drink enough when I ride MTB but I can kill 2 bottles in short order on the road. I do have my Garmin timer set for 15 minutes to remind me to drink on the road bike tho.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Have you tried nuun?

·
Two skinny J's
21,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have you tried nuun?
No I haven't. Xela tried it and did a review of it. I have not seen it locally but maybe I'll have to pursue it further and give it a try.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Its really good stuff. Cured a cramping problem that I had. Very light taste, doesn't foul up when it gets hot either. I actually use with Hammer HEED after the first hour of a ride. Seems to be a good combination of electrolytes and carbohydrates.

·
Two skinny J's
21,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its really good stuff. Cured a cramping problem that I had. Very light taste, doesn't foul up when it gets hot either. I actually use with Hammer HEED after the first hour of a ride. Seems to be a good combination of electrolytes and carbohydrates.
I went out yesterday in search of either product yesterday with no luck... I might have to order on line, I prefer not to do that for several reasons but I will if I have to!

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
Ever try FRS?
It is now sold in Sheetz gas stations in the soda coolers.
My wife purchased a few large bottles fur me a couple years back.....at a expense too high to merit repurchase.
My non scientific test found decent improvement when I consumed FRS before the ride. More energy, less leg fatigue, faster times, no flats, sunny days, wind always at my back, peaceful drivers, cold brew in ice box when I returned and a wife that appreciated a man with a smile he couldn't shake after the ride.
Anyway, the price for single servings at Sheetz is reasonable enough to give it a try. Enjoy success.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts