Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the commute in today in a right-side bike lane, I came up behind a rental truck stopped at a light. He was showing a right turn signal so I held back behind him, clearly letting my front wheel turn so my light would shine off to the side and show I was not going to leap into his blind spot when he turned. While I waited, a car came up behind me and pulled up next to me.

I have a reflector vest, a yellow jacket, and full lighting.

Light changes. Truck starts to move forward into his right. I wait until he's going into the turn before going onto the pedals. The car next to me starts forward and then swings a right turn right across my nose, following the truck, unsignalled.

So have you ever seen the movie "Defending your life"? Albert Brooks dies at the begining, and finds out there is a place called "Judgement City" where you have to defend your life (in a court of law) - if you win, you go onto the next level. If you lose, you go back to our stupid world to try it again. The thing is, in the courtroom, there is a huge TV screen where you can watch moments of your life, items the Prosecutor or defence might bring into play.

So I wonder, as a cyclist, how many times I'll be in someone elses movie?

Prosecutor: "So, have you ever threatened anyone's life? Nearly taken it away from them?"

Dead Motorist: "No, never. I was always very careful."

Prosecutor: "I'd like to review the morning of March 13, 2012, at aproximatly 6:50am, corner of 17-92 and Fairbanks..."

Court: "GASP!"

The thing is, how many motorists with their family-decals, their chrome fish-stickers, their values bumper stickers and whatnot, how many of them even realize the danger they are putting others into? How can anyone who texts or phones while driving in heavy traffic not look at themselves and not think, "You know, I'm a real sh*twheasel."?

How can you have little personal slogans like, "I'm pro-life" or "I'd never harm another American" or something equally meaningless and keep a straight face.

I can only hope there is a judgement city. Of course, it will just make it more difficult for future cyclists...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To this, I'll add the day a minivan with a "Z88.3 - Safe for the little ears" bumper sticker came within a brush of putting me into a hedge. Ever since then, I give bimbo boxes like that a wide berth.

Same with people with a Prodigy-count in the back car window. I figure they'll butt like rams for dominance.

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
To this, I'll add the day a minivan with a "Z88.3 - Safe for the little ears" bumper sticker came within a brush of putting me into a hedge. Ever since then, I give bimbo boxes like that a wide berth.

Same with people with a Prodigy-count in the back car window. I figure they'll butt like rams for dominance.
Those things are code for I'm a Mom/Dad that really believes they should be in a Porsche!!

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
My feeling is the more exspensive the vehickle the less the driver has any regards for you :eek:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Wild, it does seem that wealth makes some folks feel immune from reality! After seeing so many folks totally distracted while driving, it does cause me to think about that when a car approaches from the rear...are they watching and do they see me or are they trying to get those last few keystrokes in before they get home? It was just this sort of thing that pushed me to eventually get off the Harley. Technology has made our lives so much simpler in a lot of ways, but much more treacherous in others!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, when Jobs passed away, our boss had this little elogy for him. I just sat in the back of the room with my arms crossed over my "one less car" shirt and frowned. He saw me and said, "Okay, what?"

I told him I hate all those little celltoys people have, and that if someone is going to kill me or break my spine, its going to be becuase they were screwing with them while driving while I'm riding home. When he said I can't hold it against Jobs for how people use his toys, I told him that I'll bet handgun victims don't drop a wreath when some arms maker drops dead in his mansion.

There was even some good from the atomic bomb. But cellphones and FUVs - individually and especially in combination - are the bain of cyclists.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
The only thing worse seems to be pro bike racing. Flipped through what was Vs the other day for a split second. Poor Leo. (think it was Leo) It is one thing to crash because the racers crash, but having no where to go because the organizers can't keep the motorcycles out of the way of the racers, I'd rather dodge mini vans.

·
Registered
313 Posts
On the commute in today in a right-side bike lane, I came up behind a rental truck stopped at a light. He was showing a right turn signal so I held back behind him, clearly letting my front wheel turn so my light would shine off to the side and show I was not going to leap into his blind spot when he turned. While I waited, a car came up behind me and pulled up next to me.

I have a reflector vest, a yellow jacket, and full lighting.

Light changes. Truck starts to move forward into his right. I wait until he's going into the turn before going onto the pedals. The car next to me starts forward and then swings a right turn right across my nose, following the truck, unsignalled.

So have you ever seen the movie "Defending your life"? Albert Brooks dies at the begining, and finds out there is a place called "Judgement City" where you have to defend your life (in a court of law) - if you win, you go onto the next level. If you lose, you go back to our stupid world to try it again. The thing is, in the courtroom, there is a huge TV screen where you can watch moments of your life, items the Prosecutor or defence might bring into play.

So I wonder, as a cyclist, how many times I'll be in someone elses movie?

Prosecutor: "So, have you ever threatened anyone's life? Nearly taken it away from them?"

Dead Motorist: "No, never. I was always very careful."

Prosecutor: "I'd like to review the morning of March 13, 2012, at aproximatly 6:50am, corner of 17-92 and Fairbanks..."

Court: "GASP!"

The thing is, how many motorists with their family-decals, their chrome fish-stickers, their values bumper stickers and whatnot, how many of them even realize the danger they are putting others into? How can anyone who texts or phones while driving in heavy traffic not look at themselves and not think, "You know, I'm a real sh*twheasel."?

How can you have little personal slogans like, "I'm pro-life" or "I'd never harm another American" or something equally meaningless and keep a straight face.

I can only hope there is a judgement city. Of course, it will just make it more difficult for future cyclists...
Or how about those with the "Look twice save a life motorcycles are everywhere" bumper stickers. I've noticed at times that they can be some of the worst for not respecting a bicycle's right to be on the road.

Also add to your list those with any of the following:

WWJD bumper stickers
Jesus Loves You

And of course a host of "positive, touchy feely" bumper stickers.

·
Registered
313 Posts
My feeling is the more expensive the vehickle the less the driver has any regards for you :eek:
The other drivers that I really "love" are the one's who either turn too short/wide when making turns and then look at the person who is the correct lane like they're the one who has done something wrong.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Or how about those with the "Look twice save a life motorcycles are everywhere" bumper stickers. I've noticed at times that they can be some of the worst for not respecting a bicycle's right to be on the road.

Also add to your list those with any of the following:

WWJD bumper stickers
Jesus Loves You

And of course a host of "positive, touchy feely" bumper stickers.
Week back, I was in the bike lane and a small purple car passed me. Going through the curve immediatly before me, he/she did the apex move, dropping into the bike lane to widen the curve (its a broad curve, so this was becuase of sloppyness). Even though he/she'd just passed a bike, he/she violated my space.

And the bumpersticker?

Coexist.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Week back, I was in the bike lane and a small purple car passed me. Going through the curve immediately before me, he/she did the apex move, dropping into the bike lane to widen the curve (its a broad curve, so this was because of sloppiness). Even though he/she'd just passed a bike, he/she violated my space.

And the bumpersticker?

Coexist.
And motorists wonder why we don't trust them. Hmm, gee I wonder why?!?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can be the oak, or you can be the reed.
Dosn't the oak, by its very size and mass, overshadow the reed and cause it to wither?

You never see reeds in oak forests.

And even when an oak topples, it tends to crush any reed it falls on.

As far as I can tell, oaks always win over reeds. Maybe the reeds think about bending and everything, but they are fooling themselves...

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Let me put it another way. You can go about your day being angry at inattentive motorists, but they will never know. And even if you remind them, their behavior will not change. Or you can accept that cycling is dangerous, keep your wits about you, and just enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Let me put it another way. You can go about your day being angry at inattentive motorists, but they will never know. And even if you remind them, their behavior will not change. Or you can accept that cycling is dangerous, keep your wits about you, and just enjoy the ride.

Easy to say if you don't ride.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Hack is no new be. He probably rides more than most of us. He is also right. Some things are beyond your control. Getting mad only put you at more risk because rider that is mad is just as distracted as a driver that is texting. Then you end up needing a driver to bail you or from a mistake you made, and you don't enjoy the ride.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Hack is no new be. He probably rides more than most of us. He is also right. Some things are beyond your control. Getting mad only put you at more risk because rider that is mad is just as distracted as a driver that is texting. Then you end up needing a driver to bail you or from a mistake you made, and you don't enjoy the ride.
I don't ride more than most, but I used to. Utah sucks for commuting, and it sucks in the winter. I just don't ride with a chip on my shoulder.

Even in Utah, we get our share of missionaries. The green ones show up at my door all fired up, ready to convert the world. I remind them that I'll fix their bikes, and when they come over for service, (mostly yard work) I'll feed them better than most. All I ask is that they don't waste their breath trying to convert this Buddhist. And then we have friendly religious debates. Around the 6 month mark (1/4 of the way through their mission) a few have made it a point to stop by and acknowledge that despite what they believe and know to be true, some folks just don't want to accept the gospel and read their book. And they realize they cannot convert everyone, so they choose their battles wisely. Perhaps more cyclists could take a page from their book, so to speak.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts