Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I jus did some research.
I need someone to edit or add something to my just-learned facts.

Fixed gear bike: no brakes, can't coast, pedals always in motion, no gears, skid to stop, also known as fixie.

Single speed bike: yes brakes, coast, no gears, light and cheap, no deraileurs, bad on hills.

Geared bike: has gear ratios, can be heavy depending on parts, brakes, uses shifters.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Some fixiys have brakes, most only on the front and thay use pedals for the rear brake, but some have front and back brakes

·
Registered
8 Posts
With a fixed gear, you might not have the brake calipers installed, but have the brake levers on the bar so you can mirror the same riding positions as your regular road bike (on the hoods).

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I jus did some research.
I need someone to edit or add something to my just-learned facts.

Fixed gear bike: no brakes, can't coast, pedals always in motion, no gears, skid to stop, also known as fixie.
The gear ratio is fixed. You slow your cadence to stop. Skidding is for amateurs, as is going without at least a front brake.

Single speed bike: yes brakes, coast, no gears, light and cheap, no deraileurs, bad on hills.
Like the fixed gear, having a single gear ratio is always going to be a compromise between climbs and descents. Also like the fixed gear, they can be light or cheap, rarely both.

Geared bike: has gear ratios, can be heavy depending on parts, brakes, uses shifters.
Components do make up part of the overall weight, but the frame and wheels make a big difference. 40mm+ aero section wheels on a street ridden bike add nothing but weight. My Wabi is about 18lbs whether I run it fixed or freewheel. You can build a 27 speed road bike that weighs 14lbs if you have the money. Lightest road bike I have ever seen was equipped with Lew wheels, and heavily modified to get it down to its 7lb weight.

See it here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts