Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok maybe I am nuts, (in fact most would leave out the maybe) but I really like the gearing for the type of riding I do of my Fugi Newest 3.0 What the Newest has on it is 12 25 8 speed on the back with chain rings of 30 39 and 50

My Sunray has a Shimano 14 34 freewheel on the back with a 28 38 48 chain rings up front.

Now the Sunray is a much heavier bike, but the granny gears I can spin and go no where. I might actually call it a bail out gear. At that point I might as well walk up the hill. I have found a cassette that is a 11 28 Shimano. I have a spare wheel that will take a cassette, but it has an 8 speed cassette on it now. The spare wheel is also a quick release instead of bolt on, but my gut tells me if there is an issue there, I will get some warning with something bent or not right. I think the 7 speed cassette will work on the wheel, but can not seem to find if I need any shims or spacers to make it work right?

Will that make the bike go faster? Well it will if one of a few things happen. 1. Engine has to get lighter 2. Put a motor on the bike 3. Get a tow 4. put on a new engine

Yet I think it might improve the sunray to make it just a bit more like a road bike where it spends all of its time. No way I'd put that thing on anything but pavement or the best of improved trails anyway.

What am I missing now?? Is this stupid? Is my thinking logical? Something I am trying to do you know won't work??? Hack, Sprocket Girl??? It's only a few bucks to try it and see how it works, but I don't want to spend half a day frustrated trying to make a square peg go in a round hole.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
You should get some drops and a carbon fork, and swap out the triple for a double...

As far as your question, this post is a bit hard to follow. I'm pretty sure that your 7 speed cassette will work on the 8 speed hub, but you'll need a spacer to move it outboard a bit, if I recall correctly. That QR axle can be swapped for a solid one as well, rather cheaply. Check with Sheldon to see if there is a reason not to use the QR axle on frame designed for a bolt on first.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL maybe its contagious. I wasn't sure about a spacer either or whether an adjustment would do the trick. Hack I didn't even think about swapping a QR axle for a bolt on. I checked Sheldon, but didn't see anything. That doesn't mean its not there. I am a little less concerned because steel and metal will usually bend, creak ect to at least give some warning unlike carbon fiber. Though I wouldn't want to tear up a wheel, its better than tearing up me. Still if it would work a qr wheel would make dealing with flats easier, especially at the rear but its not a big deal. I might be better off changing out the freewheel on the bolt on wheel, but I don't see as many freewheels available.

I like the gearing spacing on my Fuji. It seems to work well for where I ride. That's what I am trying to match. The chain rings on the Sunray are a bit smaller, and with the 11 28 its close enough to matching. Not quite as many choices in between, but as long as I can spin it should be good enough. If it doesn't work, I just put it back to stock and I am out $20. If I can't afford $20, I have bigger problems than a bike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts