Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been jogging since March, until tonight. Decided to kick off jogging season with one lap around my neighborhood which is a 1.5 miles. Wasn't expecting much but did it in 13 minutes, and really didn't tire me too much.

During dinner my wife says, "There's a 5k on the square in Marietta Saturday morning, why don't you run it?" Almost before I had "okay" out of my mouth she had her laptop open and was signing me up.

I figure I'll do 2 miles tomorrow evening, going to rain Wednesday, run 2 1/2 on Thursday evening and I should be good to go.

Never been much of a runner, and have never done a 5k under 30 minutes but I'm shooting for under 30 for this one.

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Haven't been jogging since March, until tonight. Decided to kick off jogging season with one lap around my neighborhood which is a 1.5 miles. Wasn't expecting much but did it in 13 minutes, and really didn't tire me too much.

During dinner my wife says, "There's a 5k on the square in Marietta Saturday morning, why don't you run it?" Almost before I had "okay" out of my mouth she had her laptop open and was signing me up.

I figure I'll do 2 miles tomorrow evening, going to rain Wednesday, run 2 1/2 on Thursday evening and I should be good to go.

Never been much of a runner, and have never done a 5k under 30 minutes but I'm shooting for under 30 for this one.
Good luck with the run on the Square! Is your wife going to run with you as well since she was so quick to register you? A month ago I would have said, yea that should be pretty easy, not so much now :) I have a different goal. I really want to do a Warrior Dash next year. Unlike you I can't even remember the last time I ran.

I have started (as you know) jogging as well and quickly developed a real love hate thing for it. I love it because it takes little time and the cardio seem to be much more than I get riding and it SUX cux there aint no coast.

Mt first jog was 1.3 miles at about 14 minutes and in little more than a week I have doubled that to 2.63 miles in 22 minutes. My goal is to be able to run/jog 5 miles by the end of the year.

I wish I worked a different shift since the afternoons have been perfect riding weather vs the very cool mornings and obviously dark evenings. I have found I'm not motivated to ride below 40-45*

Okay, hi-jack over and again, good luck with the run!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Good luck to you both. I ramp my winter program up Monday. I too want to complete a dual-thon next year, but want to drop 20-25 lbs by 3/1/12.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, the wife has a bone spur in her foot that keeps her from running, but I can't get her motivated to get it fixed. She and two of our greyhounds will be on the sidelines Roo'ing me on.

This morning I was well aware of which leg muscles don't get used much on the bike... just a little bit sore, but in that good 'gotta good workout' kinda way. Rola, I share the love hate thing with running. The whole reason I got back into cycling is because I don't really like pounding my knees. The sadist part of the evening was looking at my phone app when I finished and saw that I had only burned 156 calories... seriously? At least jogging in the winter gets me outdoors. Between Thanksgiving and New Years my neighborhood is lit up like a Griswald's x-mas movie which makes it at least interesting.

Heard on the ride to work that it's forecast to be between 26 and 30 degrees Saturday morning. Brrrr

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ouch... the legs are in pain today. Jogged a mile and a half Monday evening and 2 miles last night. This morning I'm pretty sure I have identified the leg muscles that need a little extra exercise. Luckily it's only my quads, the rest of my legs feel fine. Strange that they would be the ones that hurt. I guess they just get used differently in running. Going to give them a rest tonight.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Id be interested to know what other people do in the off season to stay in shape and keep their weight down........besides the trainer and skipping McDonalds.

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
when I finished and saw that I had only burned 156 calories... seriously? At least jogging in the winter gets me outdoors. Between Thanksgiving and New Years my neighborhood is lit up like a Griswald's x-mas movie which makes it at least interesting.
Yea the colorie burn is hardly worth it but I really feel like I get more cardio from running. I'm a lineman so getting outside isn't an issue...actually I wish I could avoid it more:D We don't really hook poles anymore so... I burned a pole(32 ft fall) in 2000 and broke both legs and crushed the bones on my right foot so running is a real pain in the arse :) So much easier to ride!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dude, that hurts my legs just reading it. I assume burning a pole means you got an express ride to the bottom.

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Dude, that hurts my legs just reading it. I assume burning a pole means you got an express ride to the bottom.
lol, yup that would be burning a pole. Like to think of it terms of the Coyote and Roadrunner cartoon :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why don't they have cartoon like that anymore...

I'm not much of a country music fan, but I know a song you need to check out. A friend of mine is a music video producer that works with a lot of up and coming bands out of Nashville. Last year he was working with a band called 'The Kentucky Linemen'. Three brothers, all linemen trying to get a break in the music world. They have a song called 'The Lineman' that you'd probably like. I'm sure it's on the internet somewhere.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad that's behind me. Start of the race was around 40 degrees, but was hardly noticeable after I got going. Nothing very exciting to say about the run. It is just running (or in my case jogging) after all. I had arbitrarily set a goal of less than 30 minutes as being the time I was shooting for. I met my goal ... with seconds to spare. I squeaked under the wire at 29 minutes and 57 seconds. Can't get much closer than that :) I finished in 80th place overall out of 380 runners.

Really wasn't too bad. I'll probably do one or two more while waiting for Spring to get here.

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Very nice Poolie! I'm trying to get there. I would think 40* would be just about perfect while you are running.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Since my legs have already paid their price in pain for the first 5k, I might as well do one more. Thanksgiving morning is the "Gobble Jog'. Same exact course as Saturday, just a different charity organization. That and instead of 400 people, there will be around 2500 people based on last years attendance. With another week and half to prep for it I'm sure I can better my time.

Sadly, I have lost my mind....

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Since my legs have already paid their price in pain for the first 5k, I might as well do one more. Thanksgiving morning is the "Gobble Jog'. Same exact course as Saturday, just a different charity organization. That and instead of 400 people, there will be around 2500 people based on last years attendance. With another week and half to prep for it I'm sure I can better my time.

Sadly, I have lost my mind....
It's ok Jon we understand, I think a trend may have been started. I am strongly considering the Christmastown Dash 2011 | Flat-Out Events not sure I'm ready for 8K but hey :D Almost feels like a redundant post.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's ok Jon we understand, I think a trend may have been started. I am strongly considering the Christmastown Dash 2011 | Flat-Out Events not sure I'm ready for 8K but hey :D Almost feels like a redundant post.
The scenery alone would make that worth doing. You did say that you wanted to work your way up to 5 miles... there ya go. No shame in walking a little either.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts