Angry post about music while riding

Discussion in 'Activism / Safety' started by Industry_Hack, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Ok, so today's blog post mostly came from someplace inside where I keep my anger. But I had to. Losing your life because you wanted to listen to music while riding is pretty lame.

Speaking of lame, I have to switch web hosts. My site has been down five times in as many days.

2. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

How does someone manage to get hit by a train? A TRAIN! You can feel them coming. I don't wear the iPod when around town but when I'm out on the road for a long ride I take it. But I do use a mirror and am fully aware of what's going on around me.

3. Industry_Hack

Good question. But we can't ask him now, can we?

4. Nigal

True. So where do we stand on deaf cyclists? They can't hear ANYTHING.

5. Industry_Hack

But they're used to being aware of their surroundings.

6. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

On another forum, there's a FL cyclist who's deaf, lives with his mother, who doesn't want him riding because he might get hurt. He's stubbornly trying to maintain.....

7. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I admit I listen to music while I am on longer rides....however, I use a single earphone in my right ear, with the volume just high enough for me to hear the music. I also use an old school earphone (not an ear bud which blocks noise even if there is no music).

8. Industry_Hack

I see college-age kids on scooters with shorts, t-shirts, sandals, and the big headphones that cover their ears. And they look at me funny because I'm in a leather jacket in 80+ temps.

9. CTD50

Have to wonder, whyeye, what kind of ear buds you're talking about -- I've used ear buds for 15 years, and none have ever blocked ambient noise unless I crank the volume past the comfort level.

10. Industry_Hack

The crappy hard ones don't block sound the way the ones with different silicone covers do. My Skull Candy ones reduce ambient noise quite a bit.

11. Nigal

I was joking. :)

12. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I have used some by Sony and Phillips that sit inside the ear canal. They both came with 3 different sized ear plugs so you could get a more customizable fit. However, I found that regardless of the size I used, when I put them in, there was an immediate loss of ambient noise even without music on. It makes sense considering these earphones are designed to keep ambient noise out so you can listen to music at a safer, lower volume. For clarification, these earbuds had no noise cancelling technology which by design, would remove ambient noise.

13. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Because I am bored, and have run out of DVRed TdF coverage....I did a little research. I apologize for the incorrect use of terminology. It seems that all mini type earphones are called earbuds now n' days. However, this term "earbud" is actually the technology that I use and was referring to in my original post. The earphones or earbuds that physically sit inside the ear canal are called "Canalphones" or "IEM's". These type of earbuds are designed to reduce ambient noise so music is clearer.

14. CTD50

OK, gotcha; INSIDE the ear CANAL would indeed impinge on normal hearing.

15. SUX VR40 Rider

SUX VR40 Rider New Member

If anyone wants to listen to music while riding and still be able to ehar what is going on around them, here is a great solution:
    Cycle Sound

16. Industry_Hack

Music out your arse?

At Interbike, there was a company selling some sort of vest with speakers on the shoulders. It reminded me of my SWAT vest, but with an iPod where the shotty shells go.

17. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I bet something like that would make a good crime deterrent....who the hell is going to mess with a cyclist wearing what looks like a SWAT vest????

18. Industry_Hack

In this case, it would be a cheesy, Chinese-made vest. With speakers.

19. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Oh....so your actually more likely to get your a$$ kicked wearing something like that.

20. Industry_Hack

The one from the show, not the one hanging in my closet.