Two Spoke Forums banner

Another bike VS bike thread....

5K views 42 replies 7 participants last post by  omnivox42 
#1 · (Edited)
But this one has specific question(s).

I will be purchasing a new bike soon and am torn between the Spec Secteur and the Spec Allez. I know other brands are awesome, but my LBS is Trek or Spec in which I prefer the latter.

From what I gather the Secteur is a more upright relaxed riding position where the Allez is more stretched and racy. I am not sure what type of riding I will be do in the future however I do plan on something like the MS150 and perhaps some local races.

Is the Allez comfortable enough on 30+ mile rides? I know you can adjust the stem 10 different ways. Is the Secteur fast enough in more racy situations?

Being my first road bike I want the bike that is best suited for either type of riding until I find out what type of events I wish to do more of.

I have ridden both bikes at the LBS and was not able to tell a huge difference on a short around the block ride, except that I was more upright on the Secteur. From what I can see they both use nearly the same components, so there is no real edge either way here. The Secteur is the aluminium version of the Robauix and the Allez is the aluminium version of the Tarmac.

Also, I live in Houston which means it is FLAT. My hill climbs are on over passes.

Any insight by those with knowledge is greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
The Secteur should be fast enough for all but the more serious riders. I have the Roubaix and can keep up to the other riders even though it's not as "racey." I find my Roubaix works fine for me.

An upgrade in wheels should make the Secteur more racey should you find it too relaxed for you.

#5 ·
I have to disagree with the previous posts. You should opt for the Allez....:thumbsup:

****Disclaimer****
As a satisfied and proud owner of an Allez I see it no other way......:D

Seriously you can't go wrong with either one. If you're more comfortable on the Secteur then that's the one for you. Just make sure the LBS performs a good fitting for you.

I have ridden many miles on my Allez and never fell uncomfortable on the longer rides (30+ miles). This all due to the great job the LBS did when fitting me for my bike.

#6 ·
And now for another dead horse. Compact vs triple? Been reading forn the last couple of hours and seem confused. What I gather is they are nearly equal depending on the cassette. Compact may shift faster but you get a bigger chainring on triple..

#7 ·
Non issue - compact esp if your in Tx

#10 ·
Triples are great for mountain bikes where you need a wide range of gear ratios, but a compact will give you almost the same gear ratio combinations with only two rings. That's less weight and you don't have to worry so much about cross chaining.

#12 ·
As Poolie stated, the compact will give nearly the same range depending on the cassette used. Unless you plan on climbing a lot of long, steep hills and are a weak cyclist, I'd go with a compact. I have a 50/34 with a 11-32 on my Roubaix and it works great for my riding style.

#14 ·
I think that 12-26 would serve you well unless you have some serious hills to climb. You didn't say whether that's a 9 or 10 speed cassette, but assuming it's a 10 your spacing would be: 12,13,14,15,16,17,19,21,23,26 which will give you a pretty smooth transition through the gears.

Rola643 is currently experimenting with different cassettes, maybe he'll add his 2 cents.

As far as changing out the cassettes, it's not that hard assuming you stay with the same number of gears it's just a matter of having one special socket (you can buy at lbs) to get the cassette off the wheel.

#15 ·
Sorry I meant 13-26 8 speed. The other option is 12-27 9 speed. Trying to figure out if the upfront cost is worth it now, or if i can upgrade later.

I am trying to get on the the roadie sooner than later. My trusty MTB/hybrid is working hard, but i am beginning to require more.

#17 ·
Went to pick up my new seat post at the LBS. They let me test ride the allez and secteur back to back. I rode the allez first then rode the secteur while the feel of the allez was fresh in my mind.

The allez felt way more aero, low, and responsive. The secteur was higher less responsive and very comfortable.

Think I prefer the feel of the allez. I can tell that at first the secteur would be great, but after I got more accustomed to the drops I would want the racier bike. I know myself well enough to know that.

Thank you for your input/ advice on this. Also I prefer the compact over the triple.

#18 ·
Congratulations on the bike. I had considered the Allez, Roubaix and Tarmac when I was looking around last year. All were great bikes but the Roubaix really sang to me so that's what I went with. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do my "Ellie."

#20 ·
As far as changing out the cassettes, it's not that hard assuming you stay with the same number of gears it's just a matter of having one special socket (you can buy at lbs) to get the cassette off the wheel.
One socket and chain whip are needed to remove the cassette and just the socket to mount the new one.

#22 ·
What about a compact 50/34 crank with a 12/26 cassette? Would that give me enough speed? Is'nt it easy enough to change the cassette (possibly the rear shifter) if I needed a broader range?
A 50/34 crank with a 12/26 cassette will serve you well. I have this set up on my Synapse and have never run out of gear on either end of the shifting spectrum.

Are you contemplating buying a bike or did you just buy one?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.