Another Cyclist Lost

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by wild, Jul 3, 2010.

1. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

A 70 year old cyclist from Vineland was killed in a collision with a pickup truck early Thursday
    Robert R Schwinn, of the 500 block of Sarah place was riding his bike on the shoulder of Main Road near Weymouth Road when a Ford F150 Pickup truck struck him from behind shortly befor 7:30 a.m. township police said.
    Paramedics from Underwood-Memorial Hospital pronounced him dead at the sean police said
    The driver of the truck, 22 year old Franklinville resident Anthony Leatherwood, was taken to Underwood-Memorial Hospital in Woodbury for observation.
    It is unclear what caused the accident. Police said Schwinn was on a fitness ride and wearing a proper helmet and a reflector vest.
    No charges have bin filed

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  2. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

If you hear more on this would you please post it?

3. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Another sad story.....

4. wild

Yes a verry sad day .That is the 2nd cyclist in the last year to be killed by being run down in this small town.
    I ride just about every day and I just don't understand why people are so careless with our lives the way thay drive

5. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Are they being run down? That implies, in my head at least, a malicious attitude, as opposed to just criminal negligence.

6. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Maybe the guy had a seizure or heart attack? Odd they would have transported him to the hospital for hitting a cyclist though I suppose he could have crashed more after hitting.

7. wild

Maybe run down was a bad choice of words. I just get so upset when I get buzzed by someone or thay are on there Cel phone or passin a car and get over in the sholder. It just seames like thay just are so much in a hurry that thay lose all regard for a life. I am sorry for the rant but I am verry upset and I did not know the cyclest who was killed

8. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Criminal negligence is worse that actually knowingly committing the crime. I can see hating someone to the point where you decide to end them, but to do it out of some self important need to stay constantly connected, because you are the center of your universe, seems to be the greatest crime ever committed by man. Well right after genocide. It's Genocide, then self important negligent murder. I fear for a culture that ends not through destruction, but through distraction.

9. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

Wild,
    I understand your rant and I also rant at times.

It's a shame the way some people drive.

Venting at the time is always best.

10. wild

We lost anouther Cyclest yesterday, on last nights news, Hit and run in philly.

11. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

The nice thing over here is "most" of the time they can't go fast enough to kill you.

The motorcycles passing on the right or hell. I ride up to the edge of town on my city bike using the side roads. Other wise I'll stay in the cemetery and do my loop with head phones and music or podcast to entertain myself.