Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the crash Wednesday did more damage to me than I initially thought, or at least shook something loose up stairs. At lunch today I found myself at the local bike shop staring at a full suspension bike. Got an email today that they are having a clearance sale to make space for a new shipment coming in. This one seriously wants to come home with me.

·
889 Posts
Wonder if the same excuse can justify me getting a new set of wheels or trainer? LOL

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Poolie, they're probably gonna have to put her down if you don't give her a new home. Poor little thing. She just wants to be loved.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most would think the color is butt-ugly, but as a former Kawasaki motorcycle racer, I love the color. I usually impose a ~24hr waiting period on stuff like this to reduce impulse buys. If I can't talk myself out of it before 10am when they open in the morning I'll probably have to give her a new home.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the old school rear suspension. Very little maintenance required and almost no one makes them anymore. I got them to weigh it for me, 26.5# which is what my 29er hard tail weighs. Can't wait to hit the trails tomorrow... uh, that is if I buy it ;)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like something followed me home. :) Took her on a quick shakedown ride at one of my favorite trails and am very pleased with the first ride. If I had to describe the bike with one word it would be, 'Nimble'. The 29er rolls over stuff like a Mac truck but it's a handful in the tight twisty stuff. The 'Green Hornet' zipped through the tight stuff like it was on rails.

·
Two skinny J's
21,204 Posts
Dang! Nice :)

·
Two skinny J's
21,204 Posts
Holy cow poolie, need a step son????

·
Two skinny J's
21,204 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's a very nice bike. How do you like that brake system?
Both of my mountain bikes have the Avid Elixir 1 disk brakes, and the only bikes I've owned with disks. When I got my Trek X-Caliber, I hated them day 1. Not that they don't have enough power to throw you over the handlebars, but they squealed from the get go. I went through the brake-in steps as required to bed in the pads but did no good. I had to play with them quite a bit to finally get them to quieten down so finally happy with them.

The new SantaCruz bike has the same brakes but I haven't heard a peep out of them in the 15 miles I've ridden it.. They work perfectly. My guess is that they just weren't setup properly on the Trek and were on the SantaCruz.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Holy cow poolie, need a step son????
This bike just put the first nail in the coffin for the 29er. I took it out to my favorite trail this morning for a comparison ride. Allatoona Creek is a fairly technical trail but not super tight. I can fly on it with X-Cal so I really was expecting my time to be slower because of the smaller diameter wheels and I spent the first half of the ride getting used to the feel of the tires so really wasn't pushing it.

Imagine my surprise when I uploaded the ride into SportTracks and compared it against last weekends ride. Whoa... 2+ minutes faster. Being 5'-9" I think the smaller bike just works better with my body.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts