Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sorry for posting so many questions , but i have one more for right now. My tires are Kenda Small Block Eight. The pressure range is 30-80psi. Right now the rear is set at 34 and the front 31. The rear tire seems to squat a little bit while im riding. What tire pressure would you all recommend?

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I'm playing catch-up now, and maybe I should know this from another posting, as Hack seems to know your weight already, but what terrain are you mostly riding? Roads, trails, gravel, etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm playing catch-up now, and maybe I should know this from another posting, as Hack seems to know your weight already, but what terrain are you mostly riding? Roads, trails, gravel, etc.
To update.. Im about 270#. The riding i do mostly is smooth surfaces , but today , i ended up on some rocky path with some trees to cross. For my skills , i tend to carry my bike across heavily rocky areas and trees bigger than six inches. I ride very little pavement.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Loose dirt will require less than the max pressure in order to get some traction. Hard surfaces are best at higher pressures.

Try 65, and adjust up or down (probably up) as needed.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Loose dirt will require less than the max pressure in order to get some traction. Hard surfaces are best at higher pressures.

Try 65, and adjust up or down (probably up) as needed.
Agreed. I wouldn't do 80 psi for anything less than smooth asphalt. By up or down, I'm thinking, and Hack, chime in if you disagree, 5 psi in either direction is probably adequate. So that would make your range 60 to 70. Your original pressures are definitely too low, IMO. Let us know what you think of the new pressure. Even if you feel there is something not-quite-right, post here what's wrong and we'll make further suggestions based on your feedback.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
You should be carrying a pump to fix flats anyway. I'd experiment a bit. What you are running is in my opinion too low for all but the loosest of riding surfaces and even then it might be low. To see the other extreme, go ahead and pump it up to 80 and see how too much isn't helpful either. Then take the pressure down 5 to 10 pounds at a time so you can learn the relationship. Once you feel it getting too low, pump it back up where it seems best for you. Hack is probably pretty close, but everyone seems to like it a bit different.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I used to be a "high pressure, no brakes" MTB rider. Fast, but sketchy in the corners, and climbs ended in fail all too often. It wasn't until I built the tandem that I started to run lower pressures and paid attention to traction.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
on the road rock the pressure... max it.
off the road soft enough to stick but firm enough to not pinch flat.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Pump them up, I can't belive thay are that low for a 270 # person. On the road I would run 85# 5# over the recomended max on the trail maybe 75 and thrugh the ruff maybe 65.
Keep asking questions
We nead a 2 penny symble.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts