Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case you haven't heard yet, looks like another bad crash. Lets hope for the best.

Soler Airlifted From Tour De Suisse After Crash | Cyclingnews.com

This has been my first year making any effort to follow pro cycling. I hope this is an exceptionally bad year. The report said he hit a spectator which after seeing a race where they were running with the riders in a climb, I am really can't say I am surprised. Let's keep good thoughts

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Here's an update. He appears to be improving, though they were nasty injuries. I figured it was a fairly fast crash, when I heard yesterday about the fractured skull. I haven't seen any updates on the spectator, but they're usually not a concern on the faster sections. They just get a little nuts on the climbs when the riders are going relatively slow.

Juan Mauricio Soler in stable condition

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought it was likely on a the downhill too, but the article I saw didn't say. When you think about it, it doesn't take that much if you happen to hit wrong. If he saw he was about to hit someone else the natural reaction is to try to avoid them, which might not put him in the best position to protect himself in the fall.

The article didn't say the spectator was doing anything wrong or was somewhere they should not have been. It could have just as easily been him hitting a wet spot with oil on it and sliding in the crowd. No one at fault. Yet my original comment was based on one of the few and last races I saw, the Tour de California. There the cyclist were having to dodge the Statue of Liberty, the Pope, and a fat guy in a g string (definitely no G string diva there) running along side while trying to climb.

The description of injuries reminded me of Karl Windlinger's injuries in 94. Karl made it through, and raced again though not in F1. Massa was just as fortunate and maybe luckier than Karl.

Glad to hear he is stable. That is great news

1 - 3 of 3 Posts