Another Tragic Accident....

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by whyeyebike, Nov 20, 2009.

1. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

2. Smiley

Smiley New Member

How horrible. Good vibes sent.

3. howtofixbikes

howtofixbikes New Member

I was hit by a car while crossing the street on foot this summer. I did have the green light and stupidly took for granted that the oncoming car that was turning right towards me had seen me. I ended up in the air after bouncing off the guy's windshield. He told me later that he actually stopped after hearing me scream because he never saw me...even when I was in his windshield!

I guess he needed glasses or get his brain overhauled. I came out of it with nothing broken but my spirits. I'm getting back into the swing of things now and I'm a lot better.

Gerry :)

4. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

That is amazing that you were able to walk away from something like that with no broken bones.

I was clipped by a SUV's side mirror. Knocked me into a ditch on the side of the road and I flipped off the bike and landed in a residential drive way. Person stopped, only long enough to see me move; then tires squeeling they sped off. Hit n Run. Took me awhile to ride that road again....

5. Oneway

Oneway Boston Biker

I wish the biker a speedy recovery.
    I hope the driver is never involved in something like this again.
    I wish a careful investigation and justice.
    I cycle S.Natick Rt. several times a week and Metrowest roads almost daily. Most of my close calls people whose driving skills have been neutered by cell phones, willing to risk driving errors in order to text or call an “important” message. Second are meatheads who hate cyclists. Third are just plain accidents.
    S. Natick Rt. 16 get tricky narrowing at the multi path triangle intersection so I will be interested in the outcome of the investigation.
    BTW, it is downright dangerous for bicyclists to obey all stop and red lights, especially at night. Stops signs should be considered “yield” for cyclists so we are not standing in the middle of an intersection hoping we are seen. A bicycle can’t trigger the weight sensors at several intersections and we really are a hybrid vehicle pedestrian, not a car.
    I am inspired to get the $200+ rear light that actually irritates drivers. I’ve a very good head light but my reflective vest and ankle wraps and $40 blinkie don’t give me confidence when oncoming headlights blind me and the car coming up behind me. Given US drivers are not accustomed to cyclists, cyclists need to stand out. Europe limits bicycle lights but we aren’t there yet. US car drivers don’t look for bicyclists and a much admired minority expertly share the road.

6. djcyberlegend

djcyberlegend Group rookie

Those sensors are actually metal detectors, not pressure sensors, many newer setups can detect bicycle wheels.

7. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

Carbon and alloy bikes don't trip the detector type sensors either.

8. Oneway

Oneway Boston Biker

I mostly ride steel and eat spinach but don't trip several metro Boston intersections.
    I was happier thinking I was too light; now I lack magnetism.

9. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

10. ruggedscotsman

ruggedscotsman hardtail hardass

wow, thats tragic. I hope the cyclist recovers from his injuries. Also, how does someone manage to drag anything under their vehicle without noticing? I've seen folks runover construction pylons, which get trapped under the car, and the person seems oblivious to the horrendous noise it makes. Even with the tunes turned up, I like to think I'd still notice something wasn't right.

11. Oneway

Oneway Boston Biker

I saw the streak down the road, right down the eastbound lane and off into the side street. I really hope this driver is unique.

12. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Wow. Makes it a bit more real?

13. Farnsworth

Farnsworth New Member

Oneway, Did you hear about it as it was happening or was it ignored by the local Media?

14. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

It was first reported by the Boston Globe, but I didn't see it anywhere else. Then the follow up story came out. We have had a lot of recent media attention aimed at older drivers (60+) and their rash of accidents that have happened in the last several months. Needless to say, I think this story was more about the fact that the woman was 61 years old then the fact she hit (and dragged) a cyclist. It hasn't gotten nearly as much attention as I would have originally thought, especially considering the area that it happened is popular with cyclists.

15. Oneway

Oneway Boston Biker

The Globe, Daily News Tribune and Metrowest Daily News reported it. There was a chat section of the MWDN that discussed why more information wasn't forthcoming faster adn lots of speculation about why it occurred.

16. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

What was some of the speculation?

17. Oneway

Oneway Boston Biker

cell phone or old age played a role, news and/or police withholding details like if the driver was guilty because the driver might be a rich, privileged person. All this was reasonable. Someone speculated the cyclsit might have been at fault. Outrageous.

This foolish speculation is what we like to do in our forum and is a shameful waste of time in a newspaper where innocent minds might be damaged. We are conditioned and able to process such toxic, ill informed speculation.

18. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

It's terrible but it's a transition to Newsertainment. I stay away from all big broadcasters. I just can't take it.

19. Oneway

Oneway Boston Biker

Fun,
    Ya know, you're right. New techno gossip travels fast, free but loose. Freedom of the press has never been free-er but quality has regressed sometimes to as low backyard fence and bathroom walls. On the other hand it may be we are better informed and more involved. It is easier to express an opinion.

I rode by the accident site again this morning and considered if the driver were coming from teh north and turned across the west bound lane (and west bound cyclist) it might, maybe, sorta, kinda, I guess been more understandable in my uninformed imagination, leaning on the aforementioned backyard fence, how a driver might have not registered an oncoming car and plowed under a biker...sorta. Ouch. Maybe it is just a really unfortunate, bad, bad accident. Anyway, all imagination in our news-enetertainment world.

20. Cyclomatic

Cyclomatic Guest

It wasn't on my local news. I have relatives out of state. During Christmas they'll always ask if I heard this or I heard that and it's nine times out of ten it's a new one on me. Word spreads, just not very well I guess, or my local news had a stunning expose on puppies and decided not to pass this one along. Who knows.