Any body own a folding bike?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by funetical, Sep 30, 2009.

1. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I'm staying home due to the accident and I found this forum. No post. No threads. Does anybody own a folder? I think that would have been a lot easier to cram into my jeep.

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Does a 1974 Raleigh Twenty count?

For cheap and reliable, look at Downtube. I can probably hook you up with a good deal on one, if Yan is feeling generous.

While I saw several interesting models at Interbike, the Dahon Speed Pro TT tops my list of sweetest rides:

[​IMG]

3. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

A folder is on my "to buy" list but unfortunately it's a ways down.

4. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Does it fold. Then yes. I've been looking at them and they seem pretty great. Evidently they were used by paratroopers in ww2.

5. hmsolomon

hmsolomon Rookie Wrench

I was an extremely happy Bike Friday Tikit owner. Stolen :-(
    It's a joy to ride and folds faster than any folder-5 seconds.

they sell pre-owned and new. The company is staffed by bike
    Evangelists that live to get you on a bike and keep you smiling.

I look forward to getting my next Bike Friday Tikit (and keeping it locked!)

6. Oneway

Oneway Boston Biker

I test rode a BF Tikit and it is cool. I still prefer a regular, stiffer set up. No doubt if I was sliding from trolley to sidewalk I'd "need" it.

Is it the smooth, flowing folding, coolness or time savings that justifies the 2x pricing over the basic Dahons?

7. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I like the idea because it make public transportation not so horrible.

8. klxdrt

klxdrt New Member

Hi,

Where did you get the yellow tires? I'm looking for sage green to go with my Dahon Boardwalk 7.

Thanks,

HW

9. hmsolomon

hmsolomon Rookie Wrench

Tikit as smooth folder

Oneway,

This video proved to me that the speed 'n ease of the tikit fold is worth the price.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQscBxx7wLE]YouTube - Bike Friday tikit - 05 - The fastest folding bicycle[/ame]

Happy miles

Harold

10. Industry_Hack

Apparently, Schwalbe makes them.

11. shblanchard

shblanchard New Member

Montague DX Crossover. I love the fact that it is full-size (26" wheels). Hoping, however, to convert it to single-speed, and of course it has vertical drops :(.

12. Industry_Hack

That's hardly an insurmountable issue.

13. BeginnerCycling

BeginnerCycling Active Member

I bought a cheap Schwinn Loop folding bike for cheap off of Amazon about six months ago. Actually, not a bad bike for the price, and kinda fun to ride on when I'm riding with my young kids. A bit heavier than more expensive folders, but easy to fit in my trunk if I don't want to mess with my rack.

14. BeginnerCycling

BeginnerCycling Active Member

Finally posted a picture of my folder in my bikes gallery.

15. migaloti

migaloti New Member

Yes, I own a folding bike... it's made by Montague (montaguebikes.com). Harry Montague invented the first full size folding bike. His son David (an MIT graduate Aerospace Engineer), joined his father in June of 1987 to form a partnership for the design and manufacture of the most innovative folding bicycles in the world. Their sturdy foldable mountain bikes were selected for use by the U.S. Army paratroopers no less! I figured if paratroopers use them, then I shouldn't have any problems with it. And, in the 2 years I've had it, I haven't. It's lightweight and durable and collapses in less than 20 seconds to fit in the back of my (compact) car's trunk with lots of room to spare. It takes up about the same space as a collapsable wheel chair. The company uses only the best available parts that can be found at most bike stores, so no need to worry about your local bikeshop being able to affect repairs or maintenance as you would with some exotic brand name foldable bikes. I use it all the time. I love the affordability, the durability, and features of my Montague X50 folding mountain bike. I think you would do well to check it out if a foldable is in your future.