Any F1 fans?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Xela, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I ask that because Spa is my favorite track on the current calendar. So, I'm super-excited about this weekend! Got some special Belgian brews chilling in the fridge for qualifying and the race.

Though F1 racing is my absolute favorite, I basically like all racing that is not on an oval. And this weekend has plenty with the Rolex Series, ALMS, and MotoGP.

2. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

I'm a long time F1 fan, think it is an acquired taste in this country. Kinda miss Michael S., but Hamilton is fun to watch. What channel is it on, I haven't been payin enough attention, but things are kinda upside down this year, very cool!!!

btw, the Nascar Nationwide Series is in Canada, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, definately not an oval, but I like ovals too.

Will be interesting how many views and replies this thread gets.

DrB

3. Xela

Live on Speed at 6:30 am CST tomorrow. Yep, that's 4:30 am your time.

Huge Schumi fan. Was super-excited when it was looking like he was going to be the sub for the injured Massa a few weeks back. But those dang motorcycles kept him from it.

I'll post some pics of some of my Schumi collection later. Got some cool things!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  4. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Forgot to set my recorder, dam missed the race...oh well, only thing I get up that early for is the TOF, drives my wife nuts...lol

Yeah, I was hopeful for MS also, but disappointed he didn't come back..:(
    DrB

5. Xela

You missed a heck of a race! I'm sure you've read about it by now. Kimi was awesome! Wonder who Ferrari will put in for Monza. I can't believe they will keep Badoer in the car.

Here's a pic of one piece of my Ferrari memoribilia. It's a pitlane suit from an electrical engineer, Tad Czapski, from around 2000. MS signed it. I built the mannequin for it out of PVC and cotton stuffing. The head is a styrofoam hairpiece holder. Sorry for the low quality. I took it with my phone. My digital camera battery is dead.

I personally have gotten Michael's autograph twice at the USGP. There's a great story to go along with the first one. I have paid for it two other times. One is the pit suit, the other is a numbered edition lithograph.

IMG00346.jpg
    Click for larger view.

6. bob1964

bob1964 New Member

Loved F1 back in the days of Prost, Mansell and arguably the greatest driver of all time Senna ....now that should spark a debate

7. Xela

I have only been following F1 since about 1993. At that point, finding coverage of F1 in Arkansas was pretty difficult. So, unfortunately I didn't get to see too much of Senna before his death.

I do enjoy finding footage of the early days of F1. As one announcer said, "Back when the tires were skinny and the driver's were fat." Love watching Fangio, Clark, Moss, etc.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LnMJflV5sA&feature=related]YouTube - GP Oulton Park 1963 - Jim Clark[/ame]

8. bob1964

bob1964 New Member

I lived in England in the 80,s and early 90,s and seen the F1 races at Brands Hatch , those were some amazing races

9. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

I always thought that the formula 1 cars were one tweak from exploding. It seems they are built as light as possible and stressed to the max and one more ounce of stress or a little bit applied in a bit of a different direction will have it just failing in an explosive way.

I am more for the heavy duty stuff. Baja, rock racing, anything that looks like it could hold it's own in a demolition derby.

10. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Xela, you are a BIG F1 fan, I have watched F1 since Hobbs, Stewart and the rest from that era, didn't get much media coverage where I was then, only newsprint. I like to watch just about anything you can put an engine race, and just about anything else that can be raced. If you can think it up, someone is probably racin it somewhere!!

DrB

11. Xela

How about Monza today?! Two of the older tracks providing some of the best races. Tilke et al. need to take note.

12. Xela

Anyone watch Abu Dhabi? Think Webber's and Button's battle on the last lap was the most exciting part. Other than that, though, pretty much a bore. Good to see a winner so excited! Now what am I gonna do Sunday mornings until March? Guess more ride time. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  13. Xela

Three posts in a row by me on this thread. Maybe I'm just talking to myself. But I found this amazing Senna tribute video. Probably the best driver tribute I've seen. Great choice of music and video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svDuPAThOlc]YouTube - Ayrton Senna Tribute[/ame]

14. Xela

Any thoughts on what's definitely looking like the new Mercedes/Schumi partnership? It's hard to imagine him not in red. Latest quote I saw was from di Montezemolo saying it's a "very, very, very strong possibility."

I thought maybe some of our new UK friends on here might want to get involved in this thread.

15. Mootsguy

Mootsguy A Red Headed Stepchild

It's official, Schumacher has signed for one year with Mercedes. A one year contract with options for a second year make me think his primary goal will be car development.

16. HipsterDufus

HipsterDufus Member

I enjoyed watching Schumacher also. I saw my first F1 race when they ran Watkins Glen in N.Y. Gosh, that was back in the 70's.

17. Mootsguy

Mootsguy A Red Headed Stepchild

I was at the Glen when Gurney ran his AAR Eagle. What a great sound that was compared to the other engines. Big ole Ford V8.

18. Xela

Either of you guys go to any of the recent races at Indy? I was at all but 1. Glad to see Canada back on the calendar. I'm hopefully gonna make it up there next year for it.

19. HipsterDufus

HipsterDufus Member

I haven't, but it's on my "to do" list.

20. Xela

With testing done, and the season less than 2 weeks away, does anyone want to throw down there predictions for this year?

I thought I was a hardcore Schumacher fan until he signed with Merc. Think they'll be tough competition, but I'm going with Alonso as WDC and Ferrari as constructor's champions.

Quite interested to see the battle of the Brits at McLaren, too. As far as that is concerned, I think Hamilton will win that one.

I want to believe that Ferrari, Mercedes, and McLaren will be the top three, but it's hard to discount Red Bull. That Vettel is something else!