Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I'm curious to what others have to say. As the days slowly get shorter I'm going to have to look into lighting options as well.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am a firm believer in being seen. My biggest fear riding at night is being hit from behind. I now have 4 rear lights. On the rack a Cateye Reflex that stays mounted, seat bag has a Viewpoint flasher and on each side mounted to the back support arms of the rack is a Planet Bike Blinky Superflash. On the front I have a Planet Bike Blaze 2 watt that is the headlight and also a Planet Bike Beamer 3 LED that I use on flash/strobe mode.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
The Planet bike combo is too wimpy, and now with sales going on you can find a really decent starting system for not much more money. I don't like combo units because their almost always wimpy systems.

The front headlight should be bright enough to be seen readily and at least but put a slight amount of light in front of you, like this: CatEye EL220 LED Headlight - Bike Headlights Later when you get more money for a better light you can use this one as a front flasher or helmet light/flasher. I had a friend who had this light and on flash mode it's very attention grabbing, a lot more attention grabbing then the ones you listed.

Tailight wise, I've owned this for 13 years or so and it still works great even after many rains: CatEye TL-LD600 Bike Tail Light - Bike Taillights If you mount it vertically it puts off a good amount of side illumination as well, in addition from the rear it's very bright, again much more then the one you listed. It uses 2 AAA bats. but the bats. last a long time.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I agree that the Planet Bike set in the original post probably wouldn't be ideal to use alone -- though I take a small Planet Bike Spoklite set when I travel and rent bikes just for a little "be seen" lighting (and in case I end up riding around dusk), because they are easy to pack, and their size and velcro mounting makes them handy to throw in your pocket.

I ride a good bit at night these days, and here's the set-up I use:
Night Cycling Info

I really like the bright light on my helmet, allowing me to see around curves and scan for deer near the sides of the road, etc. I also love the spoke light on my front tire, especially when I'm stopped at a light, so cars don't cut the corner close and clip me.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
I agree that the Planet Bike set in the original post probably wouldn't be ideal to use alone -- though I take a small

I ride a good bit at night these days, and here's the set-up I use:
[URL="http://www.cyclingforbeginners.com/night-cycling-for-beginners/"]Night Cycling Info

In regards to the Nite Ize Spokelit Bicycle Lights, the picture doesn't really help with size, but are they as large as a normal wheel reflector? Does the additional weight cause any imbalance issues? Are you using them on one wheel or both? After using them a while do you think motorists notice you more with those or your not sure? Also do you think reflective sidewalls would have the same effect?

Sorry for all the questions but this thing does interest me.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
In regards to the Nite Ize Spokelit Bicycle Lights, the picture doesn't really help with size, but are they as large as a normal wheel reflector? Does the additional weight cause any imbalance issues? Are you using them on one wheel or both? After using them a while do you think motorists notice you more with those or your not sure? Also do you think reflective sidewalls would have the same effect?
The Nite Ize is about the same size as a normal wheel reflector. While I haven't weighed it (and I'm not super sensitive to weight) it doesn't seem that much heavier then a reflector to me. So, I have mine on the opposite side of the wheel from my reflector, and I haven't noticed any balance issues. And this is on my road bike, so you'd think I'd notice it on that bike if it was an issue.

Right now I only have one on my front wheel, but I could be tempted to get another for the back wheel. I definitely feel that this helps motorists notice me from the side -- so they don't cut corners turning while I'm sitting at a stoplight, and also when I'm crossing a road in front of them.

I really like how the reflective sidewalls really make it easy to see it is a bicycle - I also like that they don't need batteries, but the tires can be expensive and the Nite Ize batteries last pretty long on flashing (haven't changed mine yet). However, with the flashing Nite Ize you don't have to wait for headlights to be pointed at the bike -- flashing lights get attention, even if the driver is not sure what the heck it is.

I also recently bought some reflective stickers for spokes, which could do the same thing as reflective sidewalls, without the expense of tires. I haven't put them on yet, though.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
The Nite Ize is about the same size as a normal wheel reflector. While I haven't weighed it (and I'm not super sensitive to weight) it doesn't seem that much heavier then a reflector to me. So, I have mine on the opposite side of the wheel from my reflector, and I haven't noticed any balance issues. And this is on my road bike, so you'd think I'd notice it on that bike if it was an issue.

Right now I only have one on my front wheel, but I could be tempted to get another for the back wheel. I definitely feel that this helps motorists notice me from the side -- so they don't cut corners turning while I'm sitting at a stoplight, and also when I'm crossing a road in front of them.

I really like how the reflective sidewalls really make it easy to see it is a bicycle - I also like that they don't need batteries, but the tires can be expensive and the Nite Ize batteries last pretty long on flashing (haven't changed mine yet). However, with the flashing Nite Ize you don't have to wait for headlights to be pointed at the bike -- flashing lights get attention, even if the driver is not sure what the heck it is.

I also recently bought some reflective stickers for spokes, which could do the same thing as reflective sidewalls, without the expense of tires. I haven't put them on yet, though.
Thanks, appreciate the reply. After reading your post I decided to try one and see how it goes. Right now I don't have either reflective sidewalls or a reflector in the wheels. I do use a light on the front and rear that have side illumination plus reflector leg bands and the usual tape on the helmet and saddle bag, but not sure if it's enough for the side though. I haven't had any problems with people wanting to hit me from the side but better safe then sorry. Again thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts