Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 248 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,416 Posts
I think this is a great idea; find mutual support and motivation with your cohorts here at the 'Spoke.

I would like to see this get off to a great start.

For me, after being laid up from surgery, I got back on my bike on (April 24th 2012) weight close to 245lbs. As of this past weekend, I am at 183.2 pounds, have tripled my climb rate, upped my average speed and have a new found confidence in just about every aspect of my daily life. I no longer fear being that large guy at the back of the pack that people have to wait for on climbs.

The health benefits are incredible, BP is wonderful, resting heart rate great, and my general outlook and atittude is exponentially better. I'm a better husband, father and employee.

The feeling of control over your body is something that cannot ever be described.

Dietary intake being watched as well as cycling has given me a new lease on life.

I hope many of us can benefit from our bikes and each other in this thread

Ride On!

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I'm in, I'll keep checking here to see what we come up with as far as posting goes. I could use to lose a few pounds and if this helps motivate..... Great!

I'll have to meet most of my riding goals indoors on the cyclops untill the weather breaks, (I don't mind cold but icy streets are out for me.) ..... :thumbsup:

·
Senile Member
1,892 Posts
OK, my immediate goal for 2013 is to get below 200# and ultimately to the 185 range. In 2011, I lost about 45 lbs but gained some back in 2012. In the last 3 months, I've lost 20 lbs by using myfitnesspal.com and exercise (mainly spin classes and bike riding). I'm currently at 211 lbs and feeling pretty good about it. Haven't been under 200 since I retired from the Navy in 90. Look forward to seeing how others are losing the weight.

·
Premium Member
8,416 Posts
I haven't checked out myfitnesspal, I use livestrong.com (cue the Lance haters). I like it because it seems to have the largest/most populated database for food; better than weight watchers by far.

I have found, however, that when you input exercise and it calculates, it seems to over estimate by about 15 percent of what your actual caloric burn is versus using a HRM for calculation.

·
Senile Member
1,892 Posts
I used livestrong before. About the same concept. MFP also over estimates caloric burn. What I do is to set a calorie intake and try to stay below that 90% of the time, regardless of exercise. That way, even if I don't exercise, I'll still be below the threshold and any exercise goes into the bank as a bonus.

·
Recreational and Utility Rider :)
243 Posts
I am a clydesdale 5"9' 238# ;) But there is no weight loss goals for me, I like food :D
I'll second that, I've totally given up trying to get slimer and weigh less, I put 4200 miles on the bike last year and I still weigh the same! LOL, like Wild I like to eat! Sure it would be great to get back under 200 LBS. but if it don't happen it don't happen, don't want to stress about it. Still I'll play, I'm 230 to 240.

1 - 20 of 248 Posts